• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

14 hours ago, FauxPas said:

An interesting piece by Paul Krugman in NYT talking about supply chain issues and basically saying people switched from spending money on experiences (pre-Covid) to spending on consumer goods and this huge surge in consumer goods demand is the issue. When people feel safer to live their lives, they will switch some spending back to experiences and this will relieve much of the supply chain issues.

This article in the Atlantic had a similar thesis, and noted that contrary to what you'd expect from the news, imports into the US are actually at an all time high.

And I wonder if the empty shelves people are seeing here and there are not the result of the whole stocking-up and/or hoarding thing again. 

I suspect this is also true, if only because in our highly vaccinated corner of the country, we've seen way fewer shortages than people seem to be reporting elsewhere. Less panic, so less panic buying.

I was inside a grocery store yesterday for the first time ever (to get my booster!) and there was almost nothing out of stock. Some sparse shelves in dairy (sliced and shredded cheese, and certain brands of yogurt) but nothing else missing that I could see.

dtremit

dtremit

An interesting piece by Paul Krugman in NYT talking about supply chain issues and basically saying people switched from spending money on experiences (pre-Covid) to spending on consumer goods and this huge surge in consumer goods demand is the issue. When people feel safer to live their lives, they will switch some spending back to experiences and this will relieve much of the supply chain issues.

This article in the Atlantic had a similar thesis, and noted that contrary to what you'd expect from the news, imports into the US are actually at an all time high.

And I wonder if the empty shelves people are seeing here and there are not the result of the whole stocking-up and/or hoarding thing again. 

I suspect this is also true, if only because in our highly vaccinated corner of the country, we've seen way fewer shortages than people seem to be reporting elsewhere. 

I was inside a grocery store yesterday for the first time ever (to get my booster!) and there was almost nothing out of stock. Some sparse shelves in dairy (sliced and shredded cheese, and certain brands of yogurt) but nothing else missing that I could see.