• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shelby

Shelby

It's funny you mention that @rotuts....

So, I wasn't going to tell this story, but it does spice up my post a little bit lol.  Wednesday we needed to make a liquor store run and we decided to also go to the Asian Market.  I hadn't been since July 31 and I have quite a long list of things I need (well, want).  Apparently in all of the many years that we've been going there, we've never been on a Wednesday.  Sigh.  Pulled into the lot.  Closed on Wednesdays. 🙄  So, I got on google.  Surely in the big city there is at least one more Asian type market that has the wonderful meats and produce that this one does.  There were three others listed.....all in pretty sketchy parts of the city.  We picked one that Ronnie said "was on the edge" of the bad part of town.  Pulled in.  Tiny parking lot.  Huge tow truck taking up most of it.  Kinda weird.  I went in.  Tiny place.  They had tanks of fresh crab and lobster (19$ a piece).  Produce section not near as good, but I grabbed some basil and mint and some cabbage.  Prices were a couple dollars higher on most things, but since I was there I got some chicken feet and pork belly.  I needed to restock on chicken broth and I feel empty if I don't have pork belly in the freezer lol.  Anyway, I hurried because I just wasn't comfortable there.  I kept an eagle eye on our car and the parking lot.  I'm in line to check out when I see like 10-15 people...mostly male ..with no shirts on (it was like 45 F) grouped right in front of the door.  No masks.  A lot of yelling.  Not good.  Look to the right, there is a large man with no mask on speaking to the owner of the store and he says "I ain't towing that car until the police come.  It's full of bullet holes and blood." 😳<--- my eyes must have looked this big because the owner noticed and nudged the driver away to where I couldn't hear.   I grabbed my stuff, shoved my way through the crowd...and yep, the car door was open..full of blood and bullet holes.  I never got out of a parking lot so fast in my life lol.  News didn't say a peep about it so I have no idea what happened.

Lesson:  Do not go to the Asian Market on Wednesdays.

Upside:

I used my gigantic IP and made a huge batch of gelatinous broth.  Feet make the best broth.

First pot:

Someone @weinooor @rotutsor maybe both gave me the tip to save the green parts of leeks for soups.  So I had some in the freezer.  Good tip!

thumbnail_IMG_0591.jpg.2d851c7b6d0bfcd9fec9b858ef25f076.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0592.jpg.fa110032588d45c38344f06d4c443d6c.jpg

The cooked feet we will put out for the outside cats tonight.

Next pot is cooling as we speak (wish I had some of @rotutssnow to put it in).

Shelby

Shelby

It's funny you mention that @rotuts....

So, I wasn't going to tell this story, but it does spice up my post a little bit lol.  Wednesday we needed to make a liquor store run and we decided to also go to the Asian Market.  I hadn't been since July 31 and I have quite a long list of things I need (well, want).  Apparently in all of the many years that we've been going there, we've never been on a Wednesday.  Sigh.  Pulled into the lot.  Closed on Wednesdays. 🙄  So, I got on google.  Surely in the big city there is at least one more Asian type market that has the wonderful meats and produce that this one does.  There were three others listed.....all in pretty sketchy parts of the city.  We picked one that Ronnie said "was on the edge" of the bad part of town.  Pulled in.  Tiny parking lot.  Huge tow truck taking up most of it.  Kinda weird.  I went in.  Tiny place.  They had tanks of fresh crab and lobster (19$ a piece).  Produce section not near as good, but I grabbed some basil and mint and some cabbage.  Prices were a couple dollars higher on most things, but since I was there I got some chicken feet and pork belly.  I needed to restock on chicken broth and I feel empty if I don't have pork belly in the freezer lol.  Anyway, I hurried because I just wasn't comfortable there.  I kept an eagle eye on our car and the parking lot.  I'm in line to check out when I see like 10-15 people...mostly male ..with no shirts on (it was like 45 F) grouped right in front of the door.  No masks.  A lot of yelling.  Not good.  Look to the right, there is a large man with no mask on speaking to the owner of the store and he says "I ain't towing that car until the police come.  It's full of bullet holes and blood." 😳<--- my eyes must have looked this big because the owner noticed and nudged the driver away to where I couldn't hear.   I grabbed my stuff, shoved my way through the crowd...and yep, the car door was open..full of blood and bullet holes.  I never got out of a parking lot so fast in my life lol.  News didn't say a peep about it so I have no idea what happened.

Lesson:  Do not go to the Asian Market on Wednesdays.

Upside:

I used my gigantic IP and made a huge batch of gelatinous broth.  Feet make the best broth.

First pot:

thumbnail_IMG_0591.jpg.2d851c7b6d0bfcd9fec9b858ef25f076.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0592.jpg.fa110032588d45c38344f06d4c443d6c.jpg

The cooked feet we will put out for the outside cats tonight.

Next pot is cooling as we speak (wish I had some of @rotutssnow to put it in).