• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

typo

The other day, I went over to Roan Mills in Fillmore.  As usual, I asked a few friends if I could pick up anything for them.  One asked for a vegetarian quiche and a vegetarian pot pie, among other things.  They didn't happen to have veg versions of either so with her permission, I substituted a potato tart.  The guy at the counter told me it was good and only $15 instead of $25 for the quiche.  "TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS???" I said (to myself) , "I can easily make her a quiche!  When I dropped the stuff off, I asked her to pick a day for quiche.  She was ever so grateful and picked today.  Here's the bake, slightly overbaked, but OK:

IMG_3397.thumb.jpeg.a2c749a514bfea7f51164950fed4b46a.jpeg

Spinach, mushroom & onion on the left, broccoli, red bell pepper and onion on the right.  I also included a bag of the caramelized onion and cheese pull-apart rolls I'd made from Vivian Howard's recent book. 

She's got a stressful job, she's working at home along with her husband and 2 kids and said needing to prepare lunches and dinner everyday was pushing her over the edge so she was delighted.  Hope the kids will eat them!

After the holidays, I'll set up a schedule to prep lunch for them once a week or so.  

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

The other day, I went over to Roan Mills in Fillmore.  As usual, I asked a few friends if I could pick up anything for them.  One asked for a vegetarian quiche and a vegetarian pot pie, among other things.  They didn't happen to have veg versions of either so with her permission, I substituted a potato tart.  The guy at the counter told me it was good and only $15 instead of $25 for the quiche.  "TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS???" I said (to myself) , "I can easily make her a quiche!  When I dropped the stuff off, I asked her to pick a day for quiche.  She was ever so grateful and picked today.  Here's the bake, slightly overbooked, but OK:

IMG_3397.thumb.jpeg.a2c749a514bfea7f51164950fed4b46a.jpeg

Spinach, mushroom & onion on the left, broccoli, red bell pepper and onion on the right.  I also included a bag of the caramelized onion and cheese pull-apart rolls I'd made from Vivian Howard's recent book. 

She's got a stressful job, she's working at home along with her husband and 2 kids and said needing to prepare lunches and dinner everyday was pushing her over the edge so she was delighted.  Hope the kids will eat them!

After the holidays, I'll set up a schedule to prep lunch for them once a week or so.