• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

37 minutes ago, Franci said:

Nice! I want to place an order too. I’ve been waiting from my order from Fly by Jing for about 2 months I believe. 

I missed your previous order. What have you liked so far? 

We have been thinking about fresh fish from a while, today my husband went to a new fish market. He just call me, his exact words were: now I get why Florida is so bad, I stepped one second into the place and I was out! No way I’ll buy there. He is driving to our usual market, if the situation is the same, I guess we’ll keep eating frozen fish 😒

Hi Franci!  Thanks for the heads-up on that web site; it's always good to have multiple sources for hard-to-find stuff.  Regarding Mala Grocery, I'm pretty happy with all the stuff I've bought from them. Peppercorns, fermented black beans, chili bean paste from my first order were all high quality. I've yet to try any of the stuff in the recent purchase (which came just in the past week), but my guess is it'll be fine too.

Ahhh - fish.  Many a fish chef and many a fish-monger will say that with properly handled and frozen fish, the quality is going to be better than that of what your local store is selling as fresh. My fresh fish purchases are generally limited to farmer's market and stuff that was caught recently and locally. But since I am not going out shopping lately, my source for expertly frozen fish is Great Alaska Seafood. Their product arrives in pristine frozen condition (as opposed to stuff which might be on the way to thawing), and it's free overnight shipping with  a purchase of over 8 lbs. of seafood - of what I've sampled, I can highly recommend their halibut, the various salmon species (not smoked, fresh), shrimp, scallops. I have not loved (but that's just me) their tanner crab, nor their smoked salmon and black cod. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to my next order. So if you have a nice freezer (or a second freezer lucky you!), don't hesitate to stock up from them. It's my opinion that the Alaskan seafood processors have been doing it for a long time, know what they're doing (like blast freezing), and want to provide customers with excellent product; once again, just my opinion.

All that being said, have you ever tried Captain Jim's in Miami? Might be a place to check out.

weinoo

weinoo

26 minutes ago, Franci said:

Nice! I want to place an order too. I’ve been waiting from my order from Fly by Jing for about 2 months I believe. 

I missed your previous order. What have you liked so far? 

We have been thinking about fresh fish from a while, today my husband went to a new fish market. He just call me, his exact words were: now I get why Florida is so bad, I stepped one second into the place and I was out! No way I’ll buy there. He is driving to our usual market, if the situation is the same, I guess we’ll keep eating frozen fish 😒

Hi Franci!  Thanks for the heads-up on that web site; it's always good to have multiple sources for hard-t0-find stuff.  Regarding Mala Grocery, I'm pretty happy with all the stuff I've bought from them. Peppercorns, fermented black beans, chili bean paste from my first order were all high quality. I've yet to try any of the stuff in the recent purchase (which came just in the past week), but my guess is it'll be fine too.

Ahhh - fish.  Many a fish chef and many a fish-monger will say that with properly handled and frozen fish, the quality is going to be better than that of what your local store is selling as fresh. My fresh fish purchases are generally limited to farmer's market and stuff that was caught recently and locally. But since I am not going out shopping lately, my source for expertly frozen fish is Great Alaska Seafood. Their product arrives in pristine frozen condition (as opposed to stuff which might be on the way to thawing), and it's free overnight shipping with  a purchase of over 8 lbs. of seafood - of what I've sampled, I can highly recommend their halibut, the various salmon species (not smoked, fresh), shrimp, scallops. I have not loved (but that's just me) their tanner crab, nor their smoked salmon and black cod. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to my next order. So if you have a nice freezer (or a second freezer lucky you!), don't hesitate to stock up from them. It's my opinion that the Alaskan seafood processors have been doing it for a long time, know what they're doing (like blast freezing), and want to provide customers with excellent product; once again, just my opinion.

All that being said, have you ever tried Captain Jim's in Miami? Might be a place to check out.