• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

@liamsaunt have you ever tried this recipe from Ottolenghi? It’s always a crowd pleaser. I make it every time we have a party. But my favorite way it’s what I call twice cooked sweet potatoes. I bake them in foil, leaving them a little al dente, then peel and drap in plastic wrap (you can slice and freeze them at this point too). When cold are easy to cut, and then I pan fry, bake or broil with some oil or butter, flipping only when they make a crust. This is my MIL favorite dish in the world, I’ll make for her all the time now that is going to move with us. Also my mom has serious problem holding herself with these. I always mix types of sweet potatoes: Japanese/Korean/purple/orange flesh. My kids and husband detest sweet potatoes or orange squashes, pumpkins so they never get cooked just for the family. 

Franci

Franci

@liamsaunt have you ever tried this recipe from Ottolenghi? It’s always a crowd pleaser. I make it every time we have a party. But my favorite way it’s what I calle twice cooked sweet potatoes. I bake them in foil, leaving them a little al dente, then peel and drap in plastic wrap (you can slice and freeze them at this point too). When cold are easy to cut, and then I pan fry, bake or broil with some oil or butter, flipping only when they make a crust. This is my MIL favorite dish in the world, I’ll make for her all the time now that is going to move with us. Also my mom has serious problem holding herself with these. I always mix types of sweet potatoes: Japanese/Korean/purple/orange flesh. My kids and husband detest sweet potatoes or orange squashes, pumpkins so they never get cooked just for the family. 

Franci

Franci

@liamsaunt have you ever tried this recipe from Ottolenghi? It’s always a crowd pleaser. I make it every time we have a party. But my favorite way it’s what I called, twice cooked sweet potatoes. I bake them in foil, leaving them a little al dente, then peel and drap in plastic wrap (you can slice and freeze them at this point too). When cold are easy to cut, and then I pan fry, bake or broil with some oil or butter, flipping only when they make a crust. This is my MIL favorite dish in the world, I’ll make for her all the time now that is going to move with us. Also my mom has serious problem holding herself with these. I always mix types of sweet potatoes: Japanese/Korean/purple/orange flesh. My kids and husband detest sweet potatoes or orange squashes, pumpkins so they never get cooked just for the family.