• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

38 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

@weinoo, if hockmesser is Yiddish for a one-handed curved blade, then that's actually more like my mother's, only hers had a wooden handle. Maybe mezzalunas are usually two-handled? My mother would have likely not known either name for her curved blade until later in life when she acquired an Italian boyfriend. Chopped liver he would never have eaten. 

Any chopped liver I'm there.  I was gonna offer a trade - my mezzaluna for a bowl - guessing answer would be a sharp NO.  Just in case...

IMG_1348.JPG

heidih

heidih

19 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

@weinoo, if hockmesser is Yiddish for a one-handed curved blade, then that's actually more like my mother's, only hers had a wooden handle. Maybe mezzalunas are usually two-handled? My mother would have likely not known either name for her curved blade until later in life when she acquired an Italian boyfriend. Chopped liver he would never have eaten. 

Any chopped liver I'\m there.  I was gonna offer a trade - my mezzaluna for a bowl - guessing answer would be a sharp NO.  Just in case...

IMG_1348.JPG