• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

It's very strange here in NYC.  We're basically at the epicenter of the pandemic, and both Significant Eater and I are quite sheltered in place. Yet so many providers have started contactless delivery, that we're in need of very little, and therefore have no reason to leave the apartment.

And I also seem to be getting stuff at home that I would have to schlep all over town to procure (if I could get it at all), at prices below what I would be paying. That whole brisket, for example? $60. Where am I going with this - oh yeah - I got 2 deliveries yesterday, some of which looked like this, after it was all bathed...

IMG_0547.thumb.JPG.10dd885bab2a20d22d2e5c2c4076706b.JPG

Carrots, celery, leeks, fennel, Caraflex cabbages, green beans, avocados, a pound of mushrooms, RAMPS, bananas, Cara Cara oranges, lemons, 2 kinds of apples, a jar of horseradish, sunflower oil, a big can of good anchovies, free-range chicken. Most of the fruit and vegetables are organic. Not shown from another supplier - more mushrooms, 5 or 6 different cheeses, French butter, heavy cream. It's crazy, and I know how lucky we are, for a number of different reasons.

Of course, when life hands you such an excess (what should I do with 3 pounds of assorted, gorgeous mushroom?), one can always open up Mastering The Art of French Cooking, Volume 1, and make a riff on Legumes a la Grecque. Which is what I did...

IMG_0549.thumb.JPG.b11876c8ae725cc523d32928e28a05ee.JPG

weinoo

weinoo

It's very strange here in NYC.  We're basically at the epicenter of the pandemic, and both Significant Eater and I are quite sheltered in place. Yet so many providers have started contactless delivery, that we're in need of very little, and therefore have no reason to leave the apartment.

And I also seem to be getting stuff at home that I would have to schlep all over town to procure (if I could get it at all), at prices below what I would be paying. That whole brisket, for example? $60. Where am I going with this - oh yeah - I got 2 deliveries yesterday, some of which loioked like this...

IMG_0547.thumb.JPG.10dd885bab2a20d22d2e5c2c4076706b.JPG

Carrots, celery, leeks, fennel, Caraflex cabbages, green beans, avocados, a pound of mushrooms, RAMPS, bananas, Cara Cara oranges, lemons, 2 kinds of apples, a jar of horseradish, sunflower oil, a big can of good anchovies, free-range chicken. Most of the fruit and vegetables are organic. Not shown from another supplier - more mushrooms, 5 or 6 different cheeses, French butter, heavy cream. It's crazy, and I know how lucky we are, for a number of different reasons.

Of course, when life hands you such an excess (what should I do with 3 pounds of assorted, gorgeous mushroom?), one can always open up Mastering The Art of French Cooking, Volume 1, and make a riff on Legumes a la Grecque. Which is what I did...

IMG_0549.thumb.JPG.b11876c8ae725cc523d32928e28a05ee.JPG