• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Porthos

Porthos

I tried to do a little regular grocery shopping this morning at my local Costco. Parking should have been my clue.

I needed to get to the grocery section which is on the far side of the building. I saw a line of shoppers headed to the registers going up the main aisle and so I kept walking to the back of the store trying to get around "the end of the line." The queue continued across the back of the store and half way up the outside wall. After I got to the other side of the queue for checking out of the store I realized that I didn't really need the four items I was after: I had just come to shop as a normal part of my Friday. Eventually I abandoned my cart and left the store - not easily done.

I went on to my usual grocery store, figuring if I saw too many cars in the parking lot I'd just head home. There were more cars than usual, but nothing insane. I went in and did do my shopping, taking note of things that were way different from a couple of days ago. Rice and beans had been decimated. the was maybe 5% of the pasta left. Flour was gone. at least 80% of the canned beans were gone. None of this was on my list except the beans, and they still had what I wanted. Cup'o'noodles were being snapped up.

The best thing the store  did to keep some level of control (they were getting busier by the minute) was to have a grouper a la Disneyland near the registers directing the flow of shoppers heading to check out. I had a pleasant conversation with the shoppers behind me. He started it by asking me if I remembered the gasoline shortage from decades ago. I smiled and replied, "red flags - green flags" and it went on from there.

If we were quarantined for 2 weeks, we'd have no problem feeding ourselves from our pantry and freezer.

ETA we wouldn't even have to use any of our disaster survival food.

Porthos

Porthos

I tried to do a little regular grocery shopping this morning at my local Costco. Parking should have been my clue.

I needed to get to the grocery section which is on the far side of the building. I saw a line of shoppers headed to the registers going up the main aisle and so I kept walking to the back of the store trying to get around "the end of the line." The queue continued across the back of the store and half way up the outside wall. After I got to the other side of the queue for checking out of the store I realized that I didn't really need the four items I was after: I had just come to shop as a normal part of my Friday. Eventually I abandoned my cart and left the store - not easily done.

I went on to my usual grocery store, figuring if I saw too many cars in the parking lot I'd just head home. There were more cars than usual, but nothing insane. I went in and did do my shopping, taking note of things that were way different from a couple of days ago. Rice and beans had been decimated. the was maybe 5% of the pasta left. Flour was gone. at least 80% of the canned beans were gone. None of this was on my list except the beans, and they still had what I wanted. Cup'o'noodles were being snapped up.

The best thing the store  did to keep some level of control (they were getting busier by the minute) was to have a grouper a la Disneyland near the registers directing the flow of shoppers heading to check out. I had a pleasant conversation with the shoppers behind me. He started it by asking me if I remembered the gasoline shortage from decades ago. I smiled and replied, "red flags - green flags" and it went on from there.

If we were quarantined for 2 weeks, we'd have no problem feeding ourselves from our pantry and freezer.

Porthos

Porthos

If we were quarantined for 2 weeks, we'd have no problem feed ourselves from our pantry and freezer.