• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vietnamese Food Glossary

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Saigon Siblings in cooperation with Andrea Nguyen have compiled a useful glossary of Vietnamese food expressions. Sound samples are included for pronunciation.

Nice!  Thank you. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm delighted to see this! I know next to nothing about Vietnamese food. We have a fairly new plaza that is filled with little restaurants. I've been dying to go, but was afraid I wouldn't know how to order. This will be a big help!

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

14 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Thre is also a good list of Vietnamese restaurant menu dishes here from Andrea Nguyen. No audio, though.

Also very helpful. Thank you once again. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

It's all in Northern pronunciation too, that's really rare outside Vietnam since almost all overseas Vietnamese tend to be from the South. (For what it's worth, having been there quite recently, I much preferred Hanoi to Saigon)