• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bulletproof coffee

Zirael

Hi folks,
I think you've heard of bulletproof coffee. My family likes it, and we usually buy it in a cafe nearby. I want to try making bulletproof coffee myself. I've already found this recipe, what can you say about it? Share your recipes, thanks in advance.
p.s. what blender do you have? I need to buy one for this purpose. Currently, I'm choosing out from this list, but I'll consider any other options too.

Edited by Zirael (log)

As I understand it, bulletproof coffee is also known as butter coffee, and people have discussed it here: Butter Coffee. I can't be much more help than that, because I haven't tried it. It doesn't look as though you need special equipment or sources.

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Bulletproof coffee without MCT oil isn't really bulletproof coffee. MCT oil provides a tangible energy boost that plain butter coffee doesn't offer. The recipe cited by the OP is "the" recipe for BP coffee, so I'd start there. Brain Octane Oil (a refined MCT oil) is expensive. But it offers only one form of MCT (caprylic acid aka C8) that is supposed to be the most bioavailable energy source. There are cheaper all-C8 formulations of MCT oil available online, but even regular MCT oil provides a qualitatively different coffee experience than using only butter or coconut oil.