• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My new ribs website

mgaretz

If you follow the Dinner thread, you will have noticed that I occasionally post Blasphemy Ribs. It’s a new way to smoke/cook ribs that are done in half the time but have much more smoke flavor, a smoke ring that goes all the way to the bone, more flavor from the ribs and sauce and more bark.  

Check it out at Blasphemyribs.com

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Great job,Mark!

I make blasphemy corned beef. Small cuts like bavette are rubbed with a typical corned beef rub with spice and pink salt etc. I pop them right into a sous vide bag and let them cook overnight.  They cure while they cook and come out perfectly corned.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2020 at 6:16 PM, gfweb said:

Great job,Mark!

I make blasphemy corned beef. Small cuts like bavette are rubbed with a typical corned beef rub with spice and pink salt etc. I pop them right into a sous vide bag and let them cook overnight.  They cure while they cook and come out perfectly corned.

Have you shown us how this is done?

Nice website, @mgaretz.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

57 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Have you shown us how this is done?

Nice website, @mgaretz.

Somewhere on eG, I have. But it is pretty much as simple as I outlined...rub the beef strips with a corned beef rub and pop into the SV at (IIRC) 145 or 150 F for 12 hours. I've done it a few times and it works well. Looks and tastes like corned beef.  I got the idea from a TV show where a sausage maker injected cure and hot smoked at the same time.

I've only tried it with bavette which is about 1.5 cm o r so thick.  I recall that cure penetrates about a cm /day, but I presume that this was done at refrigerator temps, so perhaps its speedier at 150F.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to take so long to pass this along!  Mr. Kim was fascinated with your ribs and laughed at the name.  He said that he didn't want to comment on your website until he does them himself.  So he asked me to pass on this message:

Mr. Kim says: Mark, I'm a barbecue guy, and everything about this approach screams WRONG.  But I cannot argue with the results.  They look awesome!  Nice work, I cannot wait to try this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Sorry to take so long to pass this along!  Mr. Kim was fascinated with your ribs and laughed at the name.  He said that he didn't want to comment on your website until he does them himself.  So he asked me to pass on this message:

Mr. Kim says: Mark, I'm a barbecue guy, and everything about this approach screams WRONG.  But I cannot argue with the results.  They look awesome!  Nice work, I cannot wait to try this.

Be sure to report back when he actually tries them.

And I just posted the Blasphemy Pulled Pork recipe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs