• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello World!

Zirael

Welcome Zirael, 

I read that people that enjoy and have fun working out and cooking usually do really well and commit to both for long-term because of their personal enjoyment. 

I, personally, had a healthier diet when I focused more on Chinese cuisine, owing to their heavy use of vegetables and tofu that they almost always integrate into their meat dishes. The meat becomes the garnish to give the veg flavor. I think it's like 60-70% veg and 20-30% meat in each dish based on recipes by Fuchsia Dunlop. 

And, unlike American-French and American-Italian dishes, they don't use olive oil, butter, parmesan, cream, or other high-fat milk products but fermented sauces to give flavor. 

Good luck and I hope your healthy meals do come out nice tasting as well. 

15 minutes ago, eugenep said:

I think it's like 60-70% veg and 20-30% meat in each dish

Often, but not always. In fact many are moving away from that in the cities (where 80% of the population live). McDonalds, KFC and Chinese equivalents are everywhere! Every supermarket has olive oil. Yoghurt and milk tea are hugely popular. I think your view of Chinese habits is somewhat out of date.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Often, but not always. In fact many are moving away from that in the cities (where 80% of the population live). McDonalds, KFC and Chinese equivalents are everywhere! Every supermarket has olive oil. Yoghurt and milk tea are hugely popular. I think your view of Chinese habits is somewhat out of date.

if you tell me any culture or group luvvvs KFC, then I can't contradict you and I wholly believe in your comments. 

I am a big KFC believer myself. I luuuuuuv KFC and use to have it like 2x a week in college (balanced with veg and a plain carb), and ran like 3 miles a day almost every day. I was super fit with my KFC diet. 

KFC-FO-LIFE!!!  

lol