• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut Butter Pie.....Weeping??

gulfporter

In the US I make my peanut butter pie with (shudder) cool-whip.  If I need to make it ahead, it's fine in the fridge for a couple of days.  

Alas, here in Central Mexico, no hay cool-whip.  I have scouted a number of recipes that use whipping cream (whipped before folding it into the peanut butter/cream cheese mixture).  My schedule dictates I make it one morning, then haul it to the event the next evening.  Will it weep?

Anyone have a sure-fire peanut butter pie recipe using whipping cream that won't weep after a 30+ hours in the fridge?

Gracias in advance!

At work, I have a cream cheese/whipped cream filling that is light, fluffy and addictive.  It has cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, soft butter, vanilla and whipped cream.  It doesn't weep and would work as a topping for your PB pie.  Compared to a gelatin-enhanced lightly sweetened whipped cream, it's going to be fussier to prepare.

For filling and frosting one pumpkin roll you'd mix 24 oz of cream cheese, 4 cups 10x confectioners sugar, 1 cup very soft butter, 2 tsp vanilla and optionally 4 TBL grand marnier.  Beat with a paddle until smooth and creamy.  In a separate bowl, whip 2 cups of cream to soft peak, then fold into the cream cheese mixture.

For your PB Pie, you probably only need half or even a quarter of this recipe.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@JeanneCake's sounds perfect.  But, if you have trouble with getting heavy cream to whip (which I know can be a problem in Mexico), can you get Dream Whip?  

Heavy cream here is heavy, in a good way.  It reminds me of the thick heavy cream in the US decades ago, when it had a short shelf life before so much pasteurization.  

If I add gelatine, when do I add it, when I whip the cream?  If so at what point?  I assume I bloom the gelatine powder before adding?

Edited by gulfporter (log)

2 hours ago, gulfporter said:

Heavy cream here is heavy, in a good way.  It reminds me of the thick heavy cream in the US decades ago, when it had a short shelf life before so much pasteurization.  

If I add gelatine, when do I add it, when I whip the cream?  If so at what point?  I assume I bloom the gelatine powder before adding?

Here you go.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2