• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A 2020 eG Gathering in STL? (Bulrush + ?)

Alex

Last July, eight (iirc) eG'ers and friends/SO's made our way to St Louis to eat at @gfron1's pioneering restaurant Bulrush, spend some time with Rob at the Tower Grove Farmers Market, and otherwise enjoy the city. You can read about it via a handy link in Chris Hennes's thread about his return visit to Bulrush. He also posted links to forums about starting the restaurant and about an eG trip there as part of last year's Chocolate Workshop.

Ms. Alex and I decided we'd like to revisit the restaurant and the city this summer. Our schedules aren't as flexible as they were last summer, so rather than wait for the eG planning process, we went ahead and made our travel and lodging reservations. It'll be the last weekend in July, with a Saturday (the 25th) dinner at Bulrush. (The 25th also is Dog Day at the Farmers Market!) We hope that some eG'ers are ready, able, and willing to be there, too.

Other dinners together are possible, including the highly regarded Vicia and Savage. There's also a great assortment of museums, a botanical garden, Forest Park, and the Cardinals (playing the Cubs that weekend).

If logistics are the same as last year, we'll need a head count and reservation time decision by the third week of May. So if you're interested, or if you have any questions, please reply in this forum.

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On 2/25/2020 at 7:08 PM, Alex said:

Other dinners together are possible, including the highly regarded Vicia...

Vicia is home to 2020 James Beard Award semifinalist Michael Gallina. I fully expect to see Bulrush's (and our) Rob Connoley on that list before long.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

6 hours ago, gfron1 said:

You better! I served a whole round of menu based on our conversation during sorghum season!

If that's on tap again this fall, I'll come up just for it!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Unfortunately, the sale is for rooms only through June, but just in case anyone plans to be in StL before our gathering, Travelzoo has an offer for stays at Angard Arts Hotel. Chris Hennes stayed there during last year's gathering.

On 3/6/2020 at 12:41 PM, Alex said:

Unfortunately, the sale is for rooms only through June, but just in case anyone plans to be in StL before our gathering, Travelzoo has an offer for stays at Angard Arts Hotel. Chris Hennes stayed there during last year's gathering.

And on my last visit: it's a really cool hotel. Good drinks and a good view at the top floor bar don't hurt a bit!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update. Rob told me, via PM, that if all goes well, he hopes to be back open by early June. Even if it's early July, that bodes well for our eG gathering. Assuming museums etc. will also be open, Ms. Alex and I intend to be there. 

• 2 months later...

Well, it sounds like Rob has managed to get Bulrush back open, but only for very limited seatings. I'm still game for a "gathering" of sorts (I'm happy to wave at y'all from across the room, anyway), though I think at this point this has turned into a road trip, since I'm not anticipating doing anymore flying this year. @Alex have you talked to Rob about our getting seats on that day under his new seating scheme?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Just now, Chris Hennes said:

Well, it sounds like Rob has managed to get Bulrush back open, but only for very limited seatings. I'm still game for a "gathering" of sorts (I'm happy to wave at y'all from across the room, anyway), though I think at this point this has turned into a road trip, since I'm not anticipating doing anymore flying this year. @Alex have you talked to Rob about our getting seats on that day under his new seating scheme?

Funny you should mention this. Contacting Rob was on my agenda for next week. I hadn't taken a look at the new plan yet, so thanks for the heads-up. Maybe we can rotate seats every couple of courses. 

Given the seating change, and, especially, the price increase (is the wine pairing still $100? -- I didn't see anything about that), I guess we need to open the attendance question back up to potential attendees.

Our initial list was this:

Alex +1

Chris Hennes +1

kayb

chefmd +1

cdh (maybe)

56 minutes ago, Alex said:

Maybe we can rotate seats every couple of courses. 

No, I really mean it: I'm happy to wave from across the room. I have to work with the public in my day job, I am sticking to a my-household-only social distancing scheme outside of that, and it doesn't look like that's going to be ending anytime soon, if the last couple days' numbers are any indicator.

Regarding the price, I hadn't heard anything about the beverage pairing changing, but especially under the circumstances I'm happy to pay whatever Rob needs to charge to keep paying the bills.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I'm tentatively planning on taking off on my first trip since the pandemic outbreak on the 19th. I'll have to see if I can manage a swing through StL on the way back. May be a bit out of the way, but so what? 

I'm getting out, cautiously. I've been to breakfast and out for coffee, and I think I'm going to make my first foray for either lunch or dinner next week for my birthday. So, tentatively, count me still in. And potentially, a +1; I will check and see if my friend at whose condo I camp out when I'm there is in town and wants to go, as he's very much a foodie.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Don't take anything as rule right now. The price is temporary while we're at low quantity seating. I don't expect it to stick once we're back at full capacity because to balance the price we've upped the courses, but by upping the courses we've take the dinner to just beyond 2 hours which means we can't turn the tables at all.

Late July will be a whole new world I suspect. I know the city has announced that we can be at full capacity by July 1. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

So you're saying I should come twice? :) 

In all seriousness - who knows! The menu will certainly change as it always does for us. Last year we did over 100 new or evolved courses and with our larder of misos, kombuchas, kefirs and cures constantly growing, I don't expect that to change. But as far as price...once we're at regular price again I am leaning toward going back to normal simply for the math of it all.

Well, a cancelled flight was the first domino that led to our deciding to not travel to St Louis this summer. Disappointing, but I hope and trust that Bulrush will be around for many more.

• Like 1

It really couldn't happen for me this summer, but I do hope to get the chance sometime in the future.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown