• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best recipe or many on same subject

heidih

I had trouble framing the title. I have said before that "best" irritates me, however my new peeve is sites that put out alot of recipes on a subject in a blast. Almost too much. My preference is one or two with narrative. I may be in the minority. Your opinions?

Example:   https://www.seriouseats.com/roundups/eggplant-recipes  

I agree.  As soon as I see "57 recipes for winter soups" I'm turned off and i NEVER look at them.  I too want to only see 1 or 2.  What is perhaps even worse are the people behind these sites who are in love with their photography skills.  Picture of pot on stove.  Picture of pat of butter in pot.  Picture of melted butter in pot.  Picture of chopped onions in pot.  Picture of sauted onions in pot.  And, we haven't gotten to the next 16 ingredients.  Grrr.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think they're okay if you approach them with the same sort of dismissive attitude they were posted with.  In the seriouseats eggplant link above, clearly this is some sort of compilation post recycling past content.

But if I liked eggplant, and I had some eggplant, and was looking to do something new with it,  I might be happy to scroll through it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, IndyRob said:

I think they're okay if you approach them with the same sort of dismissive attitude they were posted with.  In the seriouseats eggplant link above, clearly this is some sort of compilation post recycling past content.

I can guarantee that's exactly what it is, because I regularly get paid (by lesser sites, alas) to create exactly that type of article.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, heidih said:

I had trouble framing the title. I have said before that "best" irritates me, however my new peeve is sites that put out alot of recipes on a subject in a blast. Almost too much. My preference is one or two with narrative. I may be in the minority. Your opinions?

Example:   https://www.seriouseats.com/roundups/eggplant-recipes  

One can never have too many eggplant recipes. ;-}  But seriously folks, I'm generally not a fan of massive compilations, but I give the Serious Eats author credit for listing the recipes, sorted by category, at the beginning of the article.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I think the compilation set-up works for internet platforms (just bc it could be more interactive than a narrative-book-blog style) - almost like a google search 

The eggplant cannoli did catch my eye, and I wonder if it could be refined for dinner party kinda setting 

28 minutes ago, eugenep said:

I think the compilation set-up works for internet platforms (just bc it could be more interactive than a narrative-book-blog style) - almost like a google search 

I get that. Viewing from my personal bias (as usual) -  looking up recipes on a topic is white noise to me. I'll even plow through old eG topics enjoying the banter rather than expecting a recipe revelation. We are all different. 

• Like 1

While I agree that long unvetted compilations are a turn-off, I am equally annoyed by short lists that feature only today's trendiest ideas, as determined by some talking head on a magazine show.    I am looking for the "who'd a ever thought of this" idea or a forgotten classic.   

eGullet member #80.

31 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

While I agree that long unvetted compilations are a turn-off, I am equally annoyed by short lists that feature only today's trendiest ideas, as determined by some talking head on a magazine show.    I am looking for the "who'd a ever thought of this" idea or a forgotten classic.   

Which is what eG does well ;)

• Like 4