• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cut sweetness of caramel

sconner

I have been experimenting with my caramel recipe and different flavors.  The two that I have been told are too sweet are the ones that I subbed 30% of the white sugar for brown sugar.  I was trying to enhance the maple syrup (subbed 25% of corn syrup for maple) in one and the molasses (subbed 25% of corn syrup for molasses) in the other.  I thought that brown sugar was less sweet?  I am not sure that I want to reduce the amounts of sugar ... how can I try cut some of the sweetness?  I am a just a mom playing with a recipe trying to create variations with a more or less set base recipe.  I am open to suggestions!

Caramel is always going to be pretty sweet, that's just how it is.

I'd avoid using brown sugar, molasses or maple syrup, though - it makes it impossible to judge the colour. The darker the colour, the less sweet it is.

And yeah, always add some salt.

• Like 1