• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

An interesting method used by Dave Arnold following a recipe in the book "Pie Marches On", suing no starch.

Apples are mixed with sugar and drained. The apples go into the pie and baked. The liquid is reduced and added after baking.

Seems like it will be quite foolproof in preventing a soggy bottom. I think that if I'd try it, I would add a little starch (tapioca) to the liquid, so that it will have a slightly more traditional texture. It will still be less starch than usually needed. It will also be easy to make sure the starch is fully cooked.

I think this can be even more helpful with more challenging fruits - those high in water or low on pectin.

shain

shain

An interesting method used by Dave Arnold following a recipe in the book "Pie Marches On", suing no starch.

Apples are mixed with sugar and drained. The apples go into the pie and baked. The liquid is reduced and added after baking.

Seems like it will be quite foolproof in preventing a soggy bottom. I think that if I'd try it, I would add a little starch (tapioca) to the liquid, so that it will have a slightly more traditional texture. It will still be less starch than usually needed.

I think this can be even more helpful with more challenging fruits - those high in water or low on pectin.

shain

shain

Seems like it will be quite foolproof in preventing a soggy bottom. I think that if I'd try it, I would add a little starch (tapioca) to the liquid, so that it will have a slightly more traditional texture. It will still be less starch than usually needed.