• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spinach , fresh or fresh frozen for your Soup

rotuts

Im Soooo reluctant to start a New Topic !

suprise.gif.21241193366d6a1566632a7ca9679393.gif

he is my question , perhaps 

you have figured this out already :

for Soups , My Own or Pregresso's

i like to add chopped fresh spinach to the soup

off the heat , but very hot.

Spinach for me now comes in bags

and it ' baby '    not so flavorful 

but there is it is

I also like Swiss Chard done the same way

so here is the question ;

chop up some spinach 

freeze 1/2

and then see if the Fz is different in your soup

Im guessing none have done this Expriment

but Id though Id ask

before I go into The Laboratory 

why ?

I dont use the fresh spinach   

and then I have to throw it out.

cheers

Ill look into this myself 

some day.

Why not make a simple spinach soup and freeze it?

We've never had leftover spinach.  If we can't get through the current fridge full of vegetables, I'll roast them and then freeze them...or make soup.  I've even made lettuce soup and was stunned at how good it was.

• Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My brutally honest take for soup is "use the bag". It has more flavor and is cost effective. I have stood in line at  the grocery store and asked people what they were using it for (if they asked) and more often suggested frozen. That baby crud has NO flavor. 

spinat.JPG

• Like 2

When I was getting a weekly CSA box, I was often inundated with greens of all sorts, attached to roots like beet, turnip and radish) or on their own like chard, collards, etc. 

I would wash them, blanch or sauté to cook lightly, give them a rough chop and freeze them in a zip lock bag so I could break off what I wanted to use. 

I don't know if this would be as good as what you get from wilting the fresh leaves directly in the soup but it's worth a try in the chez @rotuts laboratory. 

Two other options to consider in the bagged section.  Trader Joe's sells a "Power to the Greens" salad mix consisting of baby kale, baby chard and baby spinach.  I believe that would be tastier than the plain baby spinach and I've found it can stand up to a quick sauté if you don't manage to use it all up which is good because the baby chard in particular seems perishable.

TJ's also sells baby kale on its own.  It's flat leaves, not curly. This stuff keeps quite well in the fridge (better than the above mix) and can also be sautéed for a quick cooked green.  It may be sturdier than you want in your soup but it might be worth a try. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd just throw some garlic and  EVOO in a saute pan, let it become golden, remove it.    Dump in almost any amount of spinach and wilt it down.    If there is too much for one sitting, refrigerate the  excess and have it tomorrow under a fried or poached egg.   

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Not sure this helps, I've a box of spinach in the freezer.  Where it's lived happily for most of this century.  I could send it to you.

OMG there are still recipes that ask for the "box" Who thought that one up? Those people in the lab...

• Haha 1

very good suggestions

i prefer Adult spinach , or Swiss chard

but its difficult to find.

i have a bag of Baby S.

Ill divid it in 2

chop.  use fresh tonight for my Ravioli dish

micro the other 1/2 until jus witted and freeze.

use that tomorrow for a similar Ravioli dish and see if there is a difference

on The tongue.

thanks for the ideas.