• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter baking

heidih

I am a Christmas baker and have no tradition for Easter. I do a basket every year for a love bug employee who lost his mom and he always got a basket from her (Minnesota background). I do a small pot of rye seed sprouted so it looks like lush thick  grass. I will go to Cost Plus World Market and get items but the baking baffles me. Ideas? This is the empty basket I found in garage that I can use. . 

basket.JPG

Why do I associate hot cross buns with Easter?  Eons ago I used to make mini cinnamon rolls and arrange them to look like a lamb.  When they rose and baked, they looked a little like a wooley critter.  Or at least the kids thought so!  You could make oval sugar cookies and decorate them like Easter Eggs.  

My boy is an Ironman participant so he will probably share rather than eat. Hot Cross I can do and have before. I think perhaps items that can last a couple days and he can share with his staff. I have found the buns better fresh - snuck just after icing ;)

cut-out cookies in the usual shapes - eggs, rabbits, chicks, lambs

russian tea cakes aka mexican wedding cakes aka those little round cookies coated in powdered sugar - round and white, that's egg-like, right? 

little coconut macaroon 'nests' with a couple of jelly beans glued on with white chocolate

chocolate truffles rolled in white or colorful sprinkles - or leave them brown and call them bunny droppings ;)

lemon bars just because they're yellow and go with pastels

pastel-tinted meringue kisses

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

Easy for a non-baker, what about mixed brownies, chocolate and blondies?     During the wildfires in the country, husband and I took batch after batch down to the R&R camp for the firefighters.    They were ecstatic with them.    They keep several days easily.  

Another easy knockout are Chocolate globs .

eGullet member #80.

@pastrygirl Excellent ideas. I used to do the walnut crescents rolled in powdered sugar (that was kept in a cannister with a vanilla bean) - a more round shape makes sense for the holiday. Plus his boys are in  a warehouse with concrete floor - just brush their hands off and dogs will  lick up the mess. Yes like Google  - dogs come to work. 

• Like 1

ooohhh tinted meringue - we used to do those. As long as no moisture around they keep well. And then all those extra yolks go in the lemon curd tarts! They brought me juicy lemons from the desert.

• Like 1