• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Danette like pudding with carrageenans or other hydrocolloids.

kostbill

I am trying to make pudding with carrageenans. I am looking for a silky texture like Danette (I don't know if this is available in the USA).

My two first experiments were a complete failure, any help would be nice.

I used 200g milk, 30g sugar, 0.3g carrageenan lambda and 0.3 carrageenan iota. Bring up temperature to 85C, hold for a couple of minutes and pour to ramekins.

- The batch failed due to frothing, milk frothed even with minimal whisking. Even after I let it rest in the fridge overnight, it was all froth. I tasted some, it had a horrible almost solidified frothy texture and I threw it away.

- Second batch had a lot of froth as well, but less than the first batch. After the overnight rest, I removed the layer of froth (it made a distinctive sound!) and the bottom layer looked like it was smooth. Alas! It was not, it was super grainy.

I need to understand how NOT to froth the milk and

I need to understand why the carrageenans didn't produce a silky smooth texture.

The list of ingredients of Danette (chocolate) is this:

full-cream milk and concentrated skimmed milk (83%), sugar, syrup of glucose, thickeners: E 1442, E 407 (carrageenans), cream (2%), lactose, flavor, starch, salt, dye: E 160a (beta carotene

From this site: https://www.frenchclick.co.uk/p-80-danette-vanille-4x125g.aspx

I imagine that the modified starch is there because it has good synergy with carrageenan.