• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant stores

gfweb

We have a great big one about 10 miles away. Great stuff, cheap in comparison consumer stores. Maybe $15 for a 3 qt sauce pan etc. My favorite pans aren't the all- clads or calphalons, it the ones from this place that I reach for .

And look at this price on a restaurant stove! A bigger Garland was $1000 more.  And they'd need insulation (or distance) to meet code for a home, but still. Our old oven was a Vulcan rescued from a restaurant. Great equipment.

thumbnail3.thumb.jpg.5d892966882514308f2acb11885c4f60.jpg

• Like 4

there was , and maybe sill is , a restaurant supply store in the NorthEnd of BOS

way back before gentrification , when there was a double elevated express way in your way 

.. I friend and i went there for some Italian and an espresso

in the RSS they has a floor mounted Hobart mixer

maybe this size :

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/hobart-legacy-hl400-1-40-qt-commercial-planetary-floor-mixer-with-standard-accessories-240v-3-phase-1-1-2-hp/425HL4001STD.html

but 2 phase

maybe this one , pre-digital :

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/hobart-legacy-hl300-30-qt-commercial-planetary-floor-mixer-with-accessories-120v-3-4-hp/425HL3003STD.html

it was just a few 100 dollars , maybe less than 200.

it could beat one egg

I really wanted it

my friend dragged me a way

idiot !

• Haha 3

The type of store where you hand over your credit card to a trusted friend to act as a restrainer. My son shopped at one for  a facility he worked at and his mantra was "no no no it is not on the list".. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

We have a great big one about 10 miles away. Great stuff, cheap in comparison consumer stores. Maybe $15 for a 3 qt sauce pan etc. My favorite pans aren't the all- clads or calphalons, it the ones from this place that I reach for .

And look at this price on a restaurant stove! A bigger Garland was $1000 more.  And they'd need insulation (or distance) to meet code for a home, but still. Our old oven was a Vulcan rescued from a restaurant. Great equipment.

International Fuel Gas code (which is the model code used in most, but not all, of the US) requires that gas appliances be listed  for the purpose they're used.  No one makes a commercial range that's listed for residential use. If you have sufficient piles of moolah, you can get an engineer to certify a particular installation.  I did some work in a lake house a decade or so ago.  the basement kitchen had a full on line of commercial equipment under a commercial hood, with fire suppression.  One of the inspectors I talked to thought the engineering work had cost $50K.  This, of course, was not the kitchen the owners would ever use, this was for the help.  The previous palace had the caterer's kitchen in an out building, but there wasn't a place to put one on the new property.

T'his is a relatively recent code chage (probably 20 years or so); it used to be possible to get away with this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My favorite restaurant supply store is about a 25 minute drive, but I have reason to go in that direction fairly often. I've looked (for grins) at commercial stoves at a Costco Business Center. On the price cards with the feature list they all, along with refrigerators and freezers, state the the warranty is void if used in a home.

I lust after a Blue Star range, but that will most likely be all I ever do. Since we hope to move out of California in another couple of years, I wouldn't want to leave one here in this typical 35+ y/o track home.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

My favorite restaurant supply store is about a 25 minute drive, but I have reason to go in that direction fairly often. I've looked (for grins) at commercial stoves at a Costco Business Center. On the price cards with the feature list they all, along with refrigerators and freezers, state the the warranty is void if used in a home.

I lust after a Blue Star range, but that will most likely be all I ever do. Since we hope to move out of California in another couple of years, I wouldn't want to leave one here in this typical 35+ y/o track home.

I've wondered about that warranty issue. It sounds like some part of a non-compete agreement with home-use brands (perhaps because Costco sells both). Certainly a home kitchen is a less damaging place than a commercial kitchen.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gfweb said:

I've wondered about that warranty issue. It sounds like some part of a non-compete agreement with home-use brands (perhaps because Costco sells both). Certainly a home kitchen is a less damaging place than a commercial kitchen.

Vollrath won't warrant my stainless steel mixing bowls.

• Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

BTW

I forgot to mention  :

the Hobart of my Dreams

was actually at a restaurant store that had used equipment

from Restaurants 

that had folded.

it was a sort of green color

with " HOBART " prominently displayed 

and nothing else

1985   so maybe the 40 qt ?

I have firm views that

Restaurants Come an Go

we know this

so the various Commercial High End

Combi Ovens  move on down the Line

Ive seen double door Combi's

and I can't remember the brand

in many out of the way places

moving down etc

just not My Place

rats

drunk.jpeg.fec8ef4d48887172e102ae558836b3fa.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

When Wylie shuttered WD-50 quite a few years ago, I went to the on-site auction that was held there.

His kitchen "suite" was gorgeous, the vultures were swarming.  The bidder who won the suite had to have the front windows of the place removed so that the suite could be unloaded that way.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@weinoo When Lawry's (yes the seasoning salt) closed their outdoor patio restaurant in downtown Los Angeles my ex was in full auction mode. He got their outdoor tables. They were beautiful. Re-sold them as I recall.. Wrought iron.  I realize now why I was drawn to the pews at the Jesuit Church in NOLA - similar ironwork

• Like 1