• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do you store your cookware?

KennethT

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I love this. It looks like a pot rack seen in the kitchen of Downton Abbey, and I liked seeing it there.

Thanks for sharing.

We have just been re-watching Downton Abbey and noticed it in the kitchen there as well!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EMichels said:

Two of our more recent solutions pictured below. The cabinets are from Ikea, are very inexpensive, and are much better quality than one would expect. The pot rack is by Enclume and is sold by a variety of places. It is excellent quality and comes in a couple of different sizes.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I love this. It looks like a pot rack seen in the kitchen of Downton Abbey, and I liked seeing it there.

Thanks for sharing.

IMG_3858.jpg

is that you fridge on the right?  If so, what brand?

We have been very happy with ours. It has served us well so far (about 5 years). I can't offer much in the way of a comparison, however, as I've never owned a similar unit from competing brand (had always been a renter previously). We also have an oven/stove, range hood, and dishwasher from the same line. They have all performed flawlessly save for a power surge that knocked out a control panel in the stove (but much of the neighborhood had damaged electronics/appliances so can't blame Thermadore). The damaged control unit was easily replaced.

90% of my cooking is done in a wok and it sleeps on the stove/burner top. Two cupboards below hold the other three pots I sometimes use. And what I call a frying pan, but you may call a skillet. The rice cooker sits on the countertop. I'm a pot minimalist, I guess

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@KennethT , Sounds like you plan to put stuff on top of your cabinets (the upper ones) and your ceiling is going to be lowered as well. How about just building your cabinets all the way up to the ceiling (no space between tops of cabinets & ceiling)? The tops of my cabinets are dusty and dirty. I never get around to cleaning them. Just a thought.

• Like 1

New Yorker here, I feel your pain!

Do you have a utility closet or an AC closet? You can hang a coat rod in the closet and get some hooks that will store a boat load of pans in a pretty small amount of space.

This is a shot from a loft I used to live in, had these two rods with everything hanging. The hooks that I used I got from my cousin the drycleaner.

Conveniently, if I got a little sweaty from all the cooking, I could just jump in the shower.

kitch_shower.jpg

• Haha 5

Yeah, I was one of the last of the commercial soho loft dwellers. Lived on Broadway and Broome for 21 years, landlord tossed me out with 30 days notice in 2012.

Moved to Brooklyn Heights, another open loft, this one has an actual room with a sink, toilet and shower, that, while it's right next to the kitchen, is actually not a part of it.

Moving up in the world!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, KennethT said:

I found a photo of the kitchen as it stands now (prior to demolition) - the new kitchen will be similar - but we're updating the cabinets (both top and bottom)

Will you have a similar fridge and small cabinet above? I have often wished to replace that small cabinet above the fridge with one or two open deep shelves. I am short and almost NEVER use the small cabinet that usually resides above a fridge. I don't even know what is in my current one in this house, because I pile stuff on top of the fridge and block the cabinet doors. If I had a shelf that was deep enough to hold meaningful amounts and it was open so that I could see what was up there, then I think i would use it a lot more than that crappy little inaccessible cabinet. 

• Like 2

I dedicated one of the pullout pantry shelves to the pans I use most  -- nonstick saute pans, the saucepans from the Paderno set. Cast iron and carbon steel stack in a base cabinet next to the stove. Dutch oven and some small bakers on the other side of the stove, next to all the cake, bread, muffin pans. Another Dutch oven lives in the island with the IP and a few other small electrics. Ginormus sauce pots in the garage.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 minute ago, FauxPas said:

Will you have a similar fridge and small cabinet above? I have often wished to replace that small cabinet above the fridge with one or two open deep shelves. I am short and almost NEVER use the small cabinet that usually resides above a fridge. I don't even know what is in my current one in this house, because I pile stuff on top of the fridge and block the cabinet doors. If I had a shelf that was deep enough to hold meaningful amounts and it was open so that I could see what was up there, then I think i would use it a lot more than that crappy little inaccessible cabinet. 

We're keeping the same fridge and were thinking about a similar small cabinet above.  I have a similar small cabinet currently above my microwave/recirculating hood.  We're also pretty short so we need a step ladder to get into it.  Right now, I only keep things that are used VERY occasionally.  I do like the doors on it though because it keeps the aerosolized grease off of the stuff inside.  We currently keep a bunch of stuff on top of our refrigerator as well - stuff like the boxes that contain zip lock bags, plastic wrap, aluminum foil, etc....  I will have to rethink this once I figure how much space we'll have - I'd hate to have to move everything every time I need to access something in the cabinet.

• Like 1

I will never again complain about having a small kitchen!

Any way you can put in some high quality (e.g. stainless) pegboard somewhere? This is great stuff, custom sizes not a problem.

2019-01IMG_5264.thumb.JPG.14b1c9b8a0686cdc6e5e8d720ced79da.JPG

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 2/20/2020 at 8:19 AM, gfweb said:

I have a few pans in a seldom used oven

Ditto

15 hours ago, EMichels said:

The cabinets are from Ikea,

Love these!

@KennethT Do the cabinets go clear to the ceiling?

10 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I will never again complain about having a small kitchen!

Anyway you can put in some high quality (e.g. stainless) pegboard somewhere. This is great stuff, custom sizes not a problem.

2019-01IMG_5264.thumb.JPG.14b1c9b8a0686cdc6e5e8d720ced79da.JPG

That would have to go on the wall in the living room...  One thing I don't like about the new apartment layout is the lack of wall space in the kitchen. But it has a lot more countertop space than my current apartment. My current apartment has lots of accessible wall space, so I store all my spices in magnetic tins on a whiteboard I got from staples, as well as some large spoons that hang from the wall as well... and my magnetic knife block.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

@KennethT Do the cabinets go clear to the ceiling?

Sort of.  The ceiling will be open to the studs - so I imagine that the cabinets will go very close to the bottom of the studs (give or take an inch or two), but then we'll have the space between the studs to store whatever we can fit in there.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I do like the doors on it though because it keeps the aerosolized grease off of the stuff inside. 

Is there any chance the cabinet could be deeper though, maybe with a pull out shelf or shelves? Then you could fit some pots and pans in there. Just a thought, it's probably an expensive custom item. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rickbern said:

New Yorker here, I feel your pain!

Do you have a utility closet or an AC closet? You can hang a coat rod in the closet and get some hooks that will store a boat load of pans in a pretty small amount of space.

kitch_shower.jpg

YES!    We have a pantry off our kitchen in which we installed a rod that holds a ton of often used pans.

1214267050_photo3.thumb.JPG.c32ab341d38f45464ee8e500f43b578c.JPG

Other go-to pans are on a utility rack.

1479426077_photo2.thumb.JPG.d742ced58a5dd06cc8050feda1e4f6f4.JPG

More elsewhere....I've been at this racket a long time.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

28 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

a lot of ladles 

you like ladles ?

just saying.  not prying.

I do love ladles, @rotuts. I even have a few more here...IMG_5273.thumb.JPG.72b5236ff78cac1947e914063be3af67.JPG

All different sizes, of course!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Wow! I could never live with a 7' ceiling in a home.  I tolerated one when I lived 50% of the time in my big motorhome for three years but couldn't handle it now.

I am very claustrophobic. I have a lot of cookware hanging from the ceiling in my pantry, which makes it very handy to just reach up and grab the skillet or pot that I need.

People have come up with very clever storage solutions  for all kinds of things that look like fine furniture. One of my neighbors has a galley type kitchen with a door in one end wall and at the other end a door into a side wall that opens into the dining room part of their family room. Just outside this door on the common wall is a repurposed  '50s or '60s entertainment console- the kind that held a TV, record player and radio with built-in speakers.  He gutted the inside, installed the pre-fab roll-out drawers where all of the pots, pans and two or three small appliances are stored.  He got some IKEA wall shelving units but attached them to the top of the console leaving an open space in the center and the shelves hold China and glassware. The center open space has big platters mounted on the wall in brackets.  Everything is handy to the kitchen and to the dining table.

It is very attractive and looks like a sideboard even with the cloth sections where the speakers used to be.

Those older consoles are deeper than the later ones because the TV tubes were huge.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 7

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett