• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do you store your cookware?

KennethT

In my current small NYC kitchen, I store my cookware with a pot rack suspended from the ceiling.  While my kitchen is small, the layout allows the pot rack location to be handily available, yet out of the way so I'm not always running into it.

I will be moving soon and am currently doing renovations and am running into an issue.  The layout of the new kitchen doesn't have a nook where the pot rack could go where it won't get in the way, and the ceiling height is probably too low for one anyway (7 feet).  The only place I can think of storing the pots/pans when not in use is in a cupboard where real estate is precious.  I also have no wall space from which to hang any pans....

Any other ideas?  Maybe I'm missing something?  How do you store non-stick pans in a cupboard without accidentally scratching the surface from time to time?

For the nonstick pans, next time you get a cardboard box,  cut up rounds that fit your pans.  I cut then slightly oversized, then put a number of slits and 1 or 2 inches long around the outside so the cardboard will conform to the shape of each pan, works great to keep them from scratching each other. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We built the kitchen in the farmhouse before I started 'COOKING'.  Before that I just cooked.  But then I also made beds and did laundry.  So...the kitchen is too small for my newish obsession (13 years).  My cookware is stored: in the kitchen, in the master bedroom in a cabinet in one of the closets, in the dining room cabinet, and in the outdoor hallway cabinet.  (Some call it a breezeway...but Ed says breezeways don't have doors.) And aluminum pans are in a Rubbermaid container in the cellar.   And I have only one non-stick saute pan.  And that's my sad story...:raz:

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My love of cookware is consuming.  My cabinets are full of pots and pans, cast iron, pressure cookers, small appliances and gadgets galore....many of which never get used!  Since I'm moving in a few months to  much smaller house I have to get rid of at least half of all this.  It's going to be tough to part with these things that were acquired with much happiness. 

My current home has loads of storage, almost a dozen big closets which helped to feed my addiction. 

No more.  

Sign...

• Sad 3

I have a small kitchen by many standards, but not New York apartment small. My pots and pans live: hanging from a pot rack, in a cabinet beneath a cooktop, on a couple of open shelves, and on a bookshelf in the adjacent mudroom. I'm about to lose the pot rack to a kitchen remodel, and though I'll miss it, I realize that I really only ever reach for three things that hang there—two skillets and a saucepan. The rest of the hangers really don't need to be available at a moment's notice. Are all of your pot rack items gotta-haves? I may find myself in Darienne's position, storing some cookware much further from the kitchen. 

How about the sides of cabinets? Here's someone who found some small hanging space using an IKEA door handle

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm reminded of @JoNorvelleWalker storing kitchen stuff under the bed. When my step mom is in town I don't like to mingle with her stuff cuz it irritates her so under the bed. Course I am not a pot hound and also have the luxury of the garage for bigger stuff like crock pot, big stock pot and such. 

@mumkin I'm actually happy to get the stuff that lives on top of the pot rack (which is hard to reach) into a cabinet because they get a fine film of aerosolized oil on them due to their lack of use.  The pot rack holds 10 pans, of which I use 4-5 very regularly.  One of the pans it holds is a 14 year old giant All-Clad wok which has been probably been used less than 5 times on account that it is terrible.  I'll probably look into selling it on ebay before I move.  Depending on how much cabinet space we'll wind up having and how we'll split it between pantry and cookware, some of the cookware will either live in a closet in another room or the closet in the other room will be the pantry...   the kitchen design makes it so there really are no sides to the cabinets either - except for 1, which is part of the "hallway"...

Edit: the "other room" would be the bedroom....

Edited by KennethT (log)

1 hour ago, heidih said:

I'm reminded of @JoNorvelleWalker storing kitchen stuff under the bed. When my step mom is in town I don't like to mingle with her stuff cuz it irritates her so under the bed. Course I am not a pot hound and also have the luxury of the garage for bigger stuff like crock pot, big stock pot and such. 

No, no, no.  No stuff under the bed.  Not here, not for years, not never.  I'm too old to extract an errant cat or robot.  I will however share a portion of my less embarrassing bedroom storage.*

Storage02202020.png

Nonstick pans live to the rear left, below the Ankarsrum mixing bowl, just above the Matfer chinois.  Hope this helps.

*Thankfully the closets are too dark to take a picture.  That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No, no, no.  No stuff under the bed.  Not here, not for years, not never.  I'm too old to extract an errant cat or robot.  I will however share a portion of my less embarrassing bedroom storage.*

Nonstick pans live to the rear left, below the Ankarsrum mixing bowl, just above the Matfer chinois.  Hope this helps.

*Thankfully the closets are too dark to take a picture.  That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

You've inspired me.  When my house cleaning people leave I’ll take a photo of my dining room table where I store the overflow from the kitchen.  

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, mumkin said:

@KennethT I don’t suppose you’re able (or willing?) to mount something shallow like an Enclume utensil bar on the wall above your cooktop are you? Folks will hate on the notion of reaching over burners, and the grease that rising plumes will deposit on your hanging items, but sometimes needs must! 

I like the idea of the utensil bar - it's basically the same function as my pot rack but against the wall and without the shelf on top... but I don't think it'll work in my situation.

I found a photo of the kitchen as it stands now (prior to demolition) - the new kitchen will be similar - but we're updating the cabinets (both top and bottom) and pulling out the range, putting more cabinets in its place. Behind where the range is now is open to the living room.  The ceiling will be dropped to 7' - which will be just above the top of the cabinets.  The cooking will largely be done on 2 portable induction burners - one high powered 230V one and either a Control Freak or Paragon, which will be done in the area to the left of the dishwasher - the cabinets above replaced with shorter cabinets and a recirculating hood. Also, that corner section of wall on the left (with the outlets) will be taken out and will have space for another cabinet.

20191006_132756.thumb.jpg.cf7a894044c6fdca2b868a4c0753ae2f.jpg

So, unfortuantely, I don't think there'll be room for a utensil bar either....

• Like 2

Interesting. My ex would be great on design/function but not happening now.  Why are you lowering the ceiling overall  - get it for the hood. Above cabs can give you space. Also not to micromanage your collection but you mentioned seldom used stuff like the big wok. Women do it with clothes - lay it all out and ask when did I last wear this? Can help you set your your priorities.  Pull outs in the lower cabs or swivels if room allows in the upper? Hooks for cups and stuff like that? So bottom line - what do you NEED in the kitchen and the rest can travel. We asked this question generally of interior remodel clients and it jars them and then they do that  (oh!) head tilt thing. Where I am kitchen designers flogging cabinets will come in and give free advice. 

56 minutes ago, KennethT said:

The ceiling will be dropped to 7' - which will be just above the top of the cabinets. 

I have only a few inches at the top of my cabinets, but I've got a bunch of stuff stashed in those few inches. I'm the first to concede it's not pretty, but there's usable space there. You just need a step-stool to get at it (or I do, anyway...don't know how tall you are). I also have suitable-sized totes filled with stuff on top of tall furniture pieces in other rooms, and less-used items in my basement. Lots of them. Far too many, in fact (though I'll be culling some baking pans to pass along to my daughter and her neighbour before my next trip to NS).

My uncle built the dream home he and my aunt had wanted for years, when they retired and moved home to NS. Instead of a kick plate at the bottom of the cupboards, he built in "toe drawers" that slide out, and hold things like frying pans, lids, serving trays, oversized utensils and less-used casserole dishes. They have the push-to-release type of catch, so you nudge one with your toe to make it release and then hook said toe under the handle (or bend over) to slide it out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@chromedome Yes, we'll almost definitely be storing something on top of the cabinets - although I really don't know how much space we'll have - whatever it is, we'll make the most of it I'm sure.  I LOVE the idea of the toe drawers.  I'm definitely going to talk to my contractor about that!

I have a roll-able island in my current kitchen.  I didn't think it would fit in the new one, but we shall see... unfortunately, the kitchen is directly across from the front door and coat closet, so I don't know if I could hang a pot rack over the island in between....

11 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@chromedome Yes, we'll almost definitely be storing something on top of the cabinets - although I really don't know how much space we'll have - whatever it is, we'll make the most of it I'm sure.  I LOVE the idea of the toe drawers.  I'm definitely going to talk to my contractor about that!

I should also mention that he built small-item storage into the doors of the pantry (a sacrifice of a few inches in depth, but to great effect in practicality).

Basically each door has a 3-inch deep (I think, it might be 4") double-sided rack on the inside. The rack itself is hinged, so when the door is opened it can swing out from the door to give access to both sides. That's where spices, shelf-stable condiments and small-volume baking ingredients go, for easy access and visibility.

It's hard to envision without a photo, but I don't get to that part of NS but once or twice a year. I'll maybe message my cousin (their daughter) and see if they might have a pic or two kicking around on someone's devices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Here’s my pile-up on my dining room table:

2F7E181F-A95A-4B58-B628-196082C8CC27.jpeg

E9A6ABC4-E112-4ED8-A28A-9811BB8BFC3F.jpeg

0153C95C-CEF9-4D60-9D5B-B87C2391CFDE.jpeg

• Like 6

Two of our more recent solutions pictured below. The cabinets are from Ikea, are very inexpensive, and are much better quality than one would expect. The pot rack is by Enclume and is sold by a variety of places. It is excellent quality and comes in a couple of different sizes.

IMG_3857.jpg

IMG_3858.jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, EMichels said:

IMG_3858.jpg

I love this. It looks like a pot rack seen in the kitchen of Downton Abbey, and I liked seeing it there.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;