• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a firm, chewy caramel recipe

Saturable

I'm looking for a caramel recipe that would yield caramels that have a bite to them. This would ensure that they're in your mouth for a little longer to soften up, so you can appreciate their full flavor! I saw a thread on this website several years ago with a caramel recipe that I made, but I cannot locate it again. Sad.

I want the caramels to have a heavy cream and butter base. I think the recipe I found ages ago had the butter go in first, rather than adding it at the end.

I'd also like to perhaps throw some vanilla bean in them, as I just saw Costco selling a bunch of beans for a very good price!

If anybody could point me to such recipe, I'd be very grateful!

22 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I am not a candy maker, but what @Saturable has described is my favored sort of caramel.  I love the texture of a Storck Riesin.  If someone would post a recipe similar to that, I might just give candymaking a try!

That's actually a good description of what I'm looking for. I'd like them to be slightly firmer than that, but that could be done by cooking them to a slightly higher temperature. I know Werther's soft caramels are too soft for my liking, but still tasty.

Edited by Saturable (log)
  • Like 1