• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Kitchen

lindag

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

I seriously have no knowledge of Daitch?

I certainly remember the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company!

I believe Daitch was bought out by A&P back in the early 80s, but I'm not positive. I'll ask my mother - she may remember...

• Like 1

The joke is on me tonight.  I anovaed up three bags of spare ribs.  The blast chiller has my apple sour cream souffle and an iSi canister for whipped cream.  There is room in the chiller for the spare ribs but I don't have a clean hotel pan to put them in.  I'd rather not put the ribs on top of the souffle.  I am too lazy to wash an hotel pan by hand, so one is on order from amazon.

Every well appointed kitchen should have at least two blast chillers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The joke is on me tonight.  I anovaed up three bags of spare ribs.  The blast chiller has my apple sour cream souffle and an iSi canister for whipped cream.  There is room in the chiller for the spare ribs but I don't have a clean hotel pan to put them in.  I'd rather not put the ribs on top of the souffle.  I am too lazy to wash an hotel pan by hand, so one is on order from amazon.

Every well appointed kitchen should have at least two blast chillers.

And at least one sane cook.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 11/8/2020 at 5:40 AM, KennethT said:

I believe Daitch was bought out by A&P back in the early 80s, but I'm not positive. I'll ask my mother - she may remember...

Unless my memory fails, my mother used to shop during the fifties/sixties at a Daitch on the West Side, around B'way and 86th

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Unless my memory fails, my mother used to shop during the fifties/sixties at a Daitch on the West Side, around B'way and 86th

The whole Daitch thing might really have been a secondary name?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Food_Emporium

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 11/8/2020 at 3:05 AM, IEATRIO said:

What awful advice. Putting to one side that an ice shock allows a cook to much more precisely control the cooking of vegetables by stopping the cooking process than to hope to coast into perfect doneness (good luck doing that with any consistency) the ice shock also helps to trap chlorophyll within the skin by closing pores opened by heat, keeping vegetables green.

On 11/8/2020 at 6:01 AM, weinoo said:

We're talking about home cooking here, not prepping greens for 75 meals in a restaurant, or cooking green beans for a catering event of 1,000 people.

And here at home, I'm pretty sure that I precisely control whatever cooking, blanching, shocking I happen to be doing.

What does this guy know?

https://www.facebook.com/ChefJacquesPepin/videos/657888034885834/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

7 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

I love how he casually dunks his hand in the boiling water (twice) w zero reaction.  Legend

Melted ice cream served in hot metal dishes at Howard Johnson's.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Melted ice cream served in hot metal dishes at Howard Johnson's.

I don't think JP was responsible for any of HoJo's sins.

I do find it hard to believe that anything he developed made its way to the Pennsylvania Turnpike restaurants I was in as a kid where open faced turkey "sandwiches" and top loading hot dogs were the main attraction.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I don't think JP was responsible for any of HoJo's sins.

I do find it hard to believe that anything he developed made its way to the Pennsylvania Turnpike restaurants I was in as a kid where open faced turkey "sandwiches" and top loading hot dogs were the main attraction.  

Maybe, maybe not.  I'd love to hear what he had to say about the topic.  You forgot the fried clams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/27/2020 at 10:44 PM, paulraphael said:

We just joined the Bosch dishwasher club. It rocks. Only complaint is that the racks on ours seem designed to be efficient for very dainty dishes. The slots are a bit too close together. There's a specially contraption for holding teacups but nothing for wine glasses. Just started looking for a solution to this. 

Just re-reading from this older post and you mentioned the Bosch and wine glasses.  Does anyone know if there's a way to remove the wine glass  fold-down holder on the right side top rack?  I don't use long stem wine glasses and those holder are just in the way and take  up room.

3 minutes ago, kayb said:

Do yours fold up? Mine do on my Samsung.

The do but they're still in the way.  I no longer use long stemmed wineglasses.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lindag said:

Just re-reading from this older post and you mentioned the Bosch and wine glasses.  Does anyone know if there's a way to remove the wine glass  fold-down holder on the right side top rack?  I don't use long stem wine glasses and those holder are just in the way and take  up room.

They do pop off. I ditched those and the flaps on the cutlery baskets in my Bosch in short order.

• Thanks 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;