• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Kitchen

lindag

5 minutes ago, weinoo said:

It's not so much not liking to have an ice maker - it's the aggravation they cause if and when they break, or if and when theire is a leakyy - simply see the stories above.

Oh - and the fact that they make terrible tasting ice, which is then left exposed in an open bucket to absorb odors, doesn't help their cause either.

My conclusion of liking an ice maker did factor in the aggravations of breakage and leaks.

I've had an icemaker for at least the last 20 years, possibly longer. Never had a leak problem. Like @Kim Shook, I would not be without mine.

As a child, we had the metal ice trays with the levers. I purely hated them. After I grew up and left home, my parents got a new fridge with an icemaker. Mama wrapped up the ice trays and gave them to me for Christmas. Got a big laugh out of that.

• Haha 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

29 minutes ago, kayb said:

I've had an icemaker for at least the last 20 years, possibly longer. Never had a leak problem. Like @Kim Shook, I would not be without mine.

I'll bet that ice tastes real good!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

I'll bet that ice tastes real good!

Maybe not, but I'm sure it does a fine job of chilling SV items.... or stock pots in the sink... or anything else that needs chilling...

Edited by KennethT (log)

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

Maybe not, but I'm sure it does a fine job of chilling SV items.... or stock pots in the sink... or anything else that needs chilling...

For some reason, I rarely use an ice bath to chill the stuff I'm doing for the 2 of us. I mean, who uses a big bowl of ice to chill blanched broccoli raab for 2 people, that I'm gonna be sautéeing with some garlic 15 minutes later?  

A couple quarts of stock - into the fridge after they come down a hundred degrees sitting in a sink of tap..my tap runs at 64℉ - from there into the fridge and everything is fine.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

For some reason, I rarely use an ice bath to chill the stuff I'm doing for the 2 of us. I mean, who uses a big bowl of ice to chill blanched broccoli raab for 2 people, that I'm gonna be sautéeing with some garlic 15 minutes later?  

Samin Nosrat agrees:

“While some chefs insist on chilling blanched vegetables in ice baths, I generally disagree. The less time a vegetable spends immersed in water, the less chance of its minerals and nutrients leaching out. Instead of bothering with an ice bath, simply cook your vegetables a little less, knowing that they’ll continue to cook even after they’re pulled from the pot.”

Instead of piling the hot, blanched vegetables into a bowl she suggests spreading them out on a parchment-lined baking sheet. I have adopted her method. Never could remember to prepare an ice bath.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Samin Nosrat agrees:

“While some chefs insist on chilling blanched vegetables in ice baths, I generally disagree. The less time a vegetable spends immersed in water, the less chance of its minerals and nutrients leaching out. Instead of bothering with an ice bath, simply cook your vegetables a little less, knowing that they’ll continue to cook even after they’re pulled from the pot.”

Instead of piling the hot, blanched vegetables into a bowl she suggests spreading them out on a parchment-lined baking sheet. I have adopted her method. Never could remember to prepare an ice bath.

If you have a blast chiller there is little need for an ice bath.  Tonight's wine is in mine at the moment.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If you have a blast chiller there is little need for an ice bath.  Tonight's wine is in mine at the moment.

As my grandma used to say, “If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.”😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

Samin Nosrat agrees:

Many ways to chill without using all that disgusting tasting ice from a home refrigerator/freezer's ice maker.

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What - you think I live in Yorktown Heights?! Or Princeton?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

9 hours ago, weinoo said:
17 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What - you think I live in Yorktown Heights?! Or Princeton?!

Seriously. Yikes. I've never considered them, but of course you see them on 'all the cool cooking shows' so I just went and looked at prices. 

I'd have to sell a kid. Or a kidney. Or both.

• Haha 5

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

we have "city water" - and it was not a 'problem' until the water authority decided to build a new and improved plant.

(long terrible taste story short....)  installed a charcoal filter for the cold water to kitchen tap, also to the fridge ice maker.

$40 for a refrigerator filter every month is absolutely insane.  the OEM has an embed chip so none of the generics work.... 

that I define as a rip off - so I put in the bypass cartridge and a year lasting (big) cartridge filter in the basement.

ice makers are uber convenient.  in-door with "crushed ice" functions don't work out in the long term (our experience)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

Seriously. Yikes. I've never considered them, but of course you see them on 'all the cool cooking shows' so I just went and looked at prices. 

Mine was about $670.

5 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Mine was about $670.

They offered so much less for me when I was a kid.

• Haha 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Mine was about $670.

Wow - ok I am certainly failing in my googling. I need to try again. I was seeing in the 4 to 5,000 range. 

I’m sure the kids will be relieved!

• Haha 2

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

48 minutes ago, weinoo said:

They offered so much less for me when I was a kid.

So sorry, we can understand how the experience has warped your life.  Once during a blizzard I made it to Grand Union (this was before the days of Shoprite).  The milk shelves were empty and bare but there was a hand wrought sign:  "Milk $5, plus your first born child."  I turned sadly to my younger son:  "I brought the wrong one."

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

17 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

Wow - ok I am certainly failing in my googling. I need to try again. I was seeing in the 4 to 5,000 range. 

I’m sure the kids will be relieved!

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/159512-chocdoc-gambles-on-vegas/?do=findComment&comment=2215135

I blame Kerry but if you're interested there is a whole thread...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/153479-blast-chillers/

If you have enough kids with kidneys, should not be a problem.

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

So sorry, we can understand how the experience has warped your life.  Once during a blizzard I made it to Grand Union (this was before the days of Shoprite).  The milk shelves were empty and bare but there was a hand wrought sign:  "Milk $5, plus your first born child."  I turned sadly to my younger son:  "I brought the wrong one."

I remember Grand Union! (And Food Fair, and HIll's (that was my place of employment while in high school and once old enough to have a job), and King Kullen, and...). those were the days!  Except if you were a first born child.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I remember Grand Union! (And Food Fair, and HIll's (that was my place of employment while in high school and once old enough to have a job), and King Kullen, and...). those were the days!  Except if you were a first born child.

What about Daitch?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Down here it was...Penn Fruit, Food Fair, A&P, Thriftway

On 11/5/2020 at 10:22 PM, Anna N said:

Samin Nosrat agrees:

What awful advice. Putting to one side that an ice shock allows a cook to much more precisely control the cooking of vegetables by stopping the cooking process than to hope to coast into perfect doneness (good luck doing that with any consistency) the ice shock also helps to trap chlorophyll within the skin by closing pores opened by heat, keeping vegetables green.

4 hours ago, IEATRIO said:

What awful advice. Putting to one side that an ice shock allows a cook to much more precisely control the cooking of vegetables by stopping the cooking process than to hope to coast into perfect doneness (good luck doing that with any consistency) the ice shock also helps to trap chlorophyll within the skin by closing pores opened by heat, keeping vegetables green.

We're talking about home cooking here, not prepping greens for 75 meals in a restaurant, or cooking green beans for a catering event of 1,000 people.

And here at home, I'm pretty sure that I precisely control whatever cooking, blanching, shocking I happen to be doing.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

21 hours ago, KennethT said:

What about Daitch?

I seriously have no knowledge of Daitch?

20 hours ago, gfweb said:

Down here it was...Penn Fruit, Food Fair, A&P, Thriftway

I certainly remember the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company!

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog