• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Kitchen

lindag

I finally moved into my new home on Friday...four months later than planned due mainly to the Covid.

Everything is still kind of a mess but I did snap a few photos to post here.  (I 101F9C20-EA4F-4113-A571-AB99A1C84AAF.thumb.jpeg.e3c01afbc9ed502d06c5cb960b5d18e3.jpeg2AEA25F5-365D-4EC5-AF59-309AEBB7F4E7.thumb.jpeg.c325520627bcdc04217606e00645b636.jpeg63A7B99B-DBED-4864-9B95-79AD257BBD0E.thumb.jpeg.0fa77773b5844d581c13c3b33e427a51.jpeg34C956ED-0CD7-4211-9139-74C008E20C12.thumb.jpeg.29730096e1763d6f5bbfc4ac7a8d1943.jpegA9C49043-0AD5-4A93-8881-8F41C9A7F881.thumb.jpeg.e8d6c5030d2ecad0884c95c501b3cd00.jpeg60F6CE34-690C-42AF-A6B2-077BA27A9F9E.thumb.jpeg.64d23a05c947a627dc6c74619b259f31.jpeg40094BA4-36BB-4206-8E20-3BCCD446BE25.thumb.jpeg.2baba1ce9fe2a58cb8b6d2c7824386bb.jpegA637E2C2-5F69-40F2-A0AB-81CFE30174D9.thumb.jpeg.701ed31d9461ac9a605e77cfd8944614.jpeg40094BA4-36BB-4206-8E20-3BCCD446BE25.thumb.jpeg.2baba1ce9fe2a58cb8b6d2c7824386bb.jpegam a terrible photographer.)

12B80461-2432-4241-926D-DF04B9D0C393.jpeg

98537879-6F86-4F26-BE10-9FD57DA56469.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

The induction range, m/w and fridge are GE Cafe, the d/w is a Bosch.

My first ever induction range and I love it.  Haven’t run the d/w yet because I can’t find the detergent.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

It 's beautiful.  I have to admit I'm a teeny tiny bit envious of your pantry.  I love the sink.  When we re-did our kitchen we put in a double sink like you have.  I sure do miss it.

Ha! I admit to being massively envious of the pantry! The kitchen is gorgeous, and I too wish you many years of happy cooking in it. All that space! That elegant backsplash! Those appliances! And I'm with Elsie on the double sink...so much nicer for my purposes than a single basin. For me the big dilemma was the size ratio of the two basins. I'm pleased with my choice. I hope you are pleased with yours.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Nice space!  Is the backsplash horizontal tiles or? Are the counters a Caesarstone type material or? No dreaded grout ;) Great pantry doors with the visibility.

Counters are quartz by a Canadian company but I don’t remember the name.

I”m adding a close-up of the backsplash.
All the cabinet lowers and the pantry lowers are pull-outs which are terrific.

C6A40190-38F1-4C91-9A9C-A49A865B45FB.jpeg

• Like 9

On 2/20/2020 at 3:01 AM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I'm with weinoo.  No plumbed in fridge.  I can't think of any friend who has not had leak or flood problems with ice making refrigerators.   Altho it boggles the grandkids, ice trays work just fine.    FWIW, we love our city and country Fisher Paykel refrigerators, our newish Samsung dishwasher, new Asko dryer.     

Had a friend who took a month long summer trip. Somewhere around a week or 2 in, the line to the ice maker in his fridge let loose and water poured into the house until a neighbour noticed it running down the drive into the street and called the city to shut his water off. Aside from the water damage, the whole house up to the attic was full of mold and they had to take the entire interior down to the studs, sand off the mold, spray with bleach, and redo all the walls and ceilings. He was out of the house for a year.

I'll fill my own ice trays, thanks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

40 minutes ago, haresfur said:

I'll fill my own ice trays, thanks.

Agree. I've had issues with every icemaker I have had and looking at the water lines and filters  skeeves me out. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, heidih said:

Agree. I've had issues with every icemaker I have had and looking at the water lines and filters  skeeves me out. 

Agree. What a disaster ice makers are. Never had a reliable one. And filter expense adds up quickly.

I wonder if they are designed to suck so we'll buy maintenance contracts.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

I had one hooked up with plastic tubing - lasted 6 years with nary a problem until the mechanical part of the icemaker gave out - I don't think the plumbing would be covered by a maintenance contract as it's external to the fridge

p

Our neighbour had a big Samsung fridge that was only a few years old when the ice maker went and flooded half of her place.   She was in the process of trying to sell it.  She needed kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom flooring replaced along with some cupboards and drywall.  Since she couldn't show it while the repairs were being done and yet had to continue paying condo fees and taxes it was a pricey undertaking.  She had already moved when this happened.  Instead of getting the fridge fixed, she gave it to us as long as we promised not to use the icemaker.  No problem, we said.  We got the Samsung, and she replaced it with a non-icemaking fridge.  Our current fridge, an LG, has an icemaker.  So far, no problems.  We had a Kitchen Aid at one time and the ice maker broke twice.  T h e first time we had it repaired, the second time we didn't bother.

• Like 2

My new fridge has a what looks like a metal wire mesh hose, hopefully less apt to leak.  I love my ice maker and didn't want to be without it.

I did have a small leak from my fridge at the old house but caught it right away and had it repaired before there was any damage.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, lindag said:

My new fridge has a what looks like a metal wire mesh hose, hopefully less apt to leak.  I love my ice maker and didn't want to be without it.

I did have a small leak from my fridge at the old house but caught it right away and had it repaired before there was any damage.

I don't ever want to live without an ice maker again.  We opted not to get the through the door dispenser - figured that was just another thing to go bad.  But I go through an entire freezer ice bucket a day, so I LOVE my ice maker.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, lindag said:

Our condominium is in the process of setting up plumbing inspections for all units to make sure all plumbing fixtures that connect to  water source are connected with metal wire mesh hoses.  There have been problems with folks buying new appliances and the installer not using that type of hose  resulting in leaks and not just little ones.  So you should feel pretty confident that yours is okay.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MokaPot said:

I like having an ice maker. Everybody's different, I guess.

It's not so much not liking to have an ice maker - it's the aggravation they cause if and when they break, or if and when there is a leak - simply see the stories above.

Oh - and the fact that they make terrible tasting ice, which is then left exposed in an open bucket to absorb odors, doesn't help their cause either.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?