• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Kitchen

lindag

I keep reading about the noise level from portable induction units. Are full-sized induction ranges also noisy? That would be an issue for me.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Yes, almost all are either stainless or enameled cast iron.

Do give 'em the "magnet test" before buying. Not all stainless works on induction, as I learned the hard way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

13 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I keep reading about the noise level from portable induction units. Are full-sized induction ranges also noisy? That would be an issue for me.

I was wondering about that, too. The Paragon induction burner is loud enough that I have to turn up the radio if I want to keep listening. It's not a particularly annoying sound but I appreciate the quiet when it shuts off. 

2 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Do give 'em the "magnet test" before buying. Not all stainless works on induction, as I learned the hard way.

I agree with checking favorite pots and being aware of what will and won't work but  the ~ $3000 price difference would fund a few new ones if needed. 

38 minutes ago, Smithy said:

When we lived in our house I had an Electrolux induction range.  No noise.  I currently have a Thermador induction cooktop - no noise.  I also have the Control Freak and I can't hear it either.

• Like 2

I would be hard-pressed to go with induction. I am a gas stove fan. During a power failure my oven my be down for the count but a butane clicker or a match means I can still cook.

• Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

As @blue_dolphin said, the Paragon (as much as I love it) does make some noise.  Interestingly the A4Box does not.  I'd love an induction stove but being in an apartment I don't get a choice.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

As @blue_dolphin said, the Paragon (as much as I love it) does make some noise.  Interestingly the A4Box does not.  I'd love an induction stove but being in an apartment I don't get a choice.

I ended up putting my single induction hob (a cheapie Kuraidori unit) alongside my diminutive apartment-sized stove where I can use it as a second full-sized burner. Of course the tradeoff is giving up a part of my (not plentiful) countertop space.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

I ended up putting my single induction hob (a cheapie Kuraidori unit) alongside my diminutive apartment-sized stove where I can use it as a second full-sized burner. Of course the tradeoff is giving up a part of my (not plentiful) countertop space.

I can't spare the counterspace.  My Paragon, one of them anyhow, lives on top of the chamber vacuum sealer.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 1 month later...

I've ordered all the new appliances:  a GE Café French door fridge, Café induction range, Café m/w, Zephyr hood and a Bosch d/w.

I was quite surprised when the salesperson told me almost all the new d/w's have built-in water softeners.  My own d/w is 14 years old and doesn't have that, I had no idea.

Some research also told me that gas ranges increase the indoor air pollution, I don't know how much or how important that is but it reinforced my decision to go with induction...a big plus is how easy it is to keep the surface clean.

I've met with the cabinetmaker and all that is underway.  I've met with the electrician and all the wiring is done.  The drywall is going in.

I met yesterday with the tile people and my choices for the bathrooms, entry and kitchen backsplash are done.

Whew!  So many hard decisions.  Next I meet with the flooring/countertop people and then the plumber.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 5

51 minutes ago, lindag said:

I've ordered all the new appliances:  a GE Café French door fridge, Café induction range, Café m/w, Zephyr hood and a Bosch d/w.

I was quite surprised when the salesperson told me almost all the new d/w's have built-in water softeners.  My own d/w is 14 years old and doesn't have that, I had no idea.

Some research also told me that gas ranges increase the indoor air pollution, I don't know how much or how important that is but it reinforced my decision to go with induction...a big plus is how easy it is to keep the surface clean.

I've met with the cabinetmaker and all that is underway.  I've met with the electrician and all the wiring is done.  The drywall is going in.

I met yesterday with the tile people and my choices for the bathrooms, entry and kitchen backsplash are done.

Whew!  So many hard decisions.  Next I meet with the flooring/countertop people and then the plumber.

I'm suspicious of the addition of a water softener to a DW. Just one more thing to have to pay to replace.  Our fridge has one, but thankfully there's a plug that will replace the filter when you get tired of replacing them at $30 a pop.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, lindag said:

Very exciting!  Please do continue to keep us posted - I can't wait to hear what you think as things continue!

As 

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Very exciting!  Please do continue to keep us posted - I can't wait to hear what you think as things continue!

As soon as things develop I will start taking photos.

Of course the finish date keeps getting pushed back.  I'm told it's due to supplier delays and to the sub-contractors being extra busy these days.  Nothing I can do about all that.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I'm suspicious of the addition of a water softener to a DW. Just one more thing to have to pay to replace.  Our fridge has one, but thankfully there's a plug that will replace the filter when you get tired of replacing them at $30 a pop.

Hard water is pretty rough on dishwashers, too.  I'd imagine it could be worth it in hard water areas. The last place I lived the water was awful.  Even with a rinse aid, the dishwasher left spots and streaks on everything unless you yanked them out and towel dried everything as soon as it stopped. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lindag said:

As 

As soon as things develop I will start taking photos.

Of course the finish date keeps getting pushed back.  I'm told it's due to supplier delays and to the sub-contractors being extra busy these days.  Nothing I can do about all that.

I think that is truth these days and not excuses. My guys can't even get deliveries or permits  ----in Los Angeles.' Funds are there but the backlog is significant. 

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I've met with the electrician and all the wiring is done. 

A thought while the electrician was there - 220 volt socket - you'll never know if you'll ever need/use it.

p

1 minute ago, palo said:

A thought while the electrician was there - 220 volt socket - you'll never know if you'll ever need/use it.

p

I think she is US so grounded ones are more important ;) (with the pretty little red GFI button)

1 hour ago, heidih said:

I think she is US so grounded ones are more important ;) (with the pretty little red GFI button)

Do NOT put your fridge/freezer on a GFCI circuit. Speaks the voice of experience.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

24 minutes ago, kayb said:

Do NOT put your fridge/freezer on a GFCI circuit. Speaks the voice of experience.

Shuts off unexpectedly? No not a good plan

42 minutes ago, kayb said:

42 minutes ago, kayb said:

yes.  This happened to me too and I had that changed after losing everything in my extra fridge.

However, my electrician must put the garage outlets on GFI  due to code.  Aside, he told me Many people have that changed later after inspection  is approved.

• 4 weeks later...

My new house is slowly coming along.  The roof and siding are done as well as the foam insulation. The sheetrock is done and painting is imminent.

The wiring is done.  I ordered the light fixtures yesterday and they should be going in next week.

I meet with the Fireplace Guy on Tuesday.  All the appliances have arrived at the appliance store and are ready for delivery.

I'll have a sit-down with the plumber soon to select fixtures.  I'll see the finish carpenter this coming week to look at wainscoting for the office. The wood flooring, carpet (for the bedrooms) bathroom tile and stone for the counters have been selected.  And the cabinetry is in progress.

Due to delays with suppliers and available workers,, my move-in date is now estimated to be the end of August.

• Like 9

I met again today with my contractor to choose more finishes,

‘Though it’s not my kitchen , since it’s a great room I’ll be able to see my new fireplace from there.

I’m so excited about the design!

Fireplace.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 8

Oh, NICE! My house has a gas log fireplace. It is the only thing presently gas in the house. The previous owners didn't use it, and had the gas turned off, and gas company took the meters out. I'm told that if I want to reactivate the fireplace, I'll have to have an inspection and get the gas company to reset the meter, and I didn't get around to that last winter. Eventually, I will convert to gas water heaters as well, and if and when the stove ever goes out, a good gas range.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 1 month later...

Things are shaping up now.  The tile is done in the bathrooms, the fireplace is ready for grouting and the wood flooring will go in next week.  The cabinetry is getting finished up too.  By next week I should be able to start taking some photos.

The move-in date is now approximately October 1 but I'm pushing the contractor who is pushing the subs.  We'll see.  It certainly has been an education.

• Like 3

Must be tough with CV19. My guys are getting slammed because they could not work in lockdown. My favorite electrician of 30+ years bailed on me because too busy. I was happy he was busy. The other one had no guys available and drove over 50 miles to come out yesterday and he is the owner  and they normally only do commercial work. but he did it out of loyalty to my former company.  Looking forward to your images, .