• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Kitchen

lindag

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

We just joined the Bosch dishwasher club. [...] There's a specially contraption for holding teacups but nothing for wine glasses.

Curious. In my c. 2015 Bosch the glassware rack has flip-down thingies on the right side that accommodate the stems of stemware. Holds them very nicely. On the other hand, mine doesn’t (that I know of) have any teacup-specific features. Seems very much like two ends of a spectrum. 

6 hours ago, paulraphael said:

We just joined the Bosch dishwasher club. It rocks. Only complaint is that the racks on ours seem designed to be efficient for very dainty dishes. The slots are a bit too close together. There's a specially contraption for holding teacups but nothing for wine glasses. Just started looking for a solution to this. 

Maybe drink your wine out of teacups, @paulraphael?!

Seriously, though, our Miele holds some of my wineglasses, just not all of them. I see nothing wrong with washing the ones it does hold in the dishwasher.  Never had any damage, etching, etc.  As I posited a long, long time ago, and what I think holds true, is using the proper amount of dishwashing soap is super important.  I'm old school and still use powdered Cascade; less that a coffee measure does the job quite well. I think the pods are a total waste of money.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Why would one put a wine glass in the dishwasher?

Because we don't have a good enough range hood. When I cook, smoke and steam go everywhere, and the wine glasses, which don't get used a whole lot, get coated with a film of grime. Which makes us really not want to use them. Hoping for a rescue. 

Notes from the underbelly

7 hours ago, mumkin said:

Curious. In my c. 2015 Bosch the glassware rack has flip-down thingies on the right side that accommodate the stems of stemware. Holds them very nicely. On the other hand, mine doesn’t (that I know of) have any teacup-specific features. Seems very much like two ends of a spectrum. 

Picture? I just looked and it's possible that our teacup shelf is also a wine glass rack (which means that your wine glass rack is also a teacup shelf ... everyone wins). At first it seemed that there wasn't enough head room for them on that middle rack, but it's looking like they just barely fit into a cutout.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Why would one put a wine glass in the dishwasher?

I use these.  I'm getting rid of all my stem wineglasses (for the upcoming move).

The Reidels can easily go into the dishwasher and their stemless design leads to a lot fewer tip-overs and breakage.

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I use these.  I'm getting rid of all my stem wineglasses (for the upcoming move).

The Reidels can easily go into the dishwasher and their stemless design leads to a lot fewer tip-overs and breakage.

I use those also.  I gave up on stem wineglasses a long time ago, although I still have some.  Why, I don't know.

26 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I use those also.  I gave up on stem wineglasses a long time ago, although I still have some.  Why, I don't know.

Because it’s proper to hold a wineglass by its stem?

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 2/28/2020 at 7:23 AM, paulraphael said:

Picture? I just looked and it's possible that our teacup shelf is also a wine glass rack (which means that your wine glass rack is also a teacup shelf ... everyone wins). 

This is what I’m referring to. These are tall stems, so they take up a lot of space, but it does the job. I’m not sure how well it would hold teacups though:21EA13CF-DFC4-4E16-AE14-40CDA1A4CA0A.jpeg.a0b13a2ce8fdeda6b0cf94db22b73704.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 10:18 AM, lindag said:

ETA: I have been reading reviews online about Sub-Zero fridges

Isn't it true that some S Z  appliances need special floor framing support because of heavy weight?

dcarch

I've been cooking in my new kitchen for eight months now, and I've made a few observations.

1. I wish the sink and stove were on the same wall. I make a hell of a mess moving from one to the other.

2. The kitchen is about 2.5  feet too wide for real convenience. A larger and more functional island -- say with a prep sink in it -- would likely solve that issue.

3. I've GOT to have a better vent/hood system. Don't want to give up my over-the-stove microwave, so I'm wondering about the feasibility of mounting a vent in the wall behind the stove (which is an interior wall) and venting up between the studs to a roof exhaust.

I'm very happy with the Samsung appliances, albeit I'm still learning to cook on the stovetop, which is significantly hotter than I'm used to. Have not had problem the first with the Samsung fridge or icemaker.  Samsung dishwasher is just excellent, and the Samsung microwave is the first one I've found that will defrost a pound of ground beef without starting to cook it around the edges.

The cabinets and drawers are smaller than I would like. I'd prefer to have fewer of them and have them bigger.

Slide-out pantry shelves are a gift from God.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

16 hours ago, kayb said:

I've been cooking in my new kitchen for eight months now, and I've made a few observations.

1. I wish the sink and stove were on the same wall. I make a hell of a mess moving from one to the other.

2. The kitchen is about 2.5  feet too wide for real convenience. A larger and more functional island -- say with a prep sink in it -- would likely solve that issue.

3. I've GOT to have a better vent/hood system. Don't want to give up my over-the-stove microwave, so I'm wondering about the feasibility of mounting a vent in the wall behind the stove (which is an interior wall) and venting up between the studs to a roof exhaust.

I'm very happy with the Samsung appliances, albeit I'm still learning to cook on the stovetop, which is significantly hotter than I'm used to. Have not had problem the first with the Samsung fridge or icemaker.  Samsung dishwasher is just excellent, and the Samsung microwave is the first one I've found that will defrost a pound of ground beef without starting to cook it around the edges.

The cabinets and drawers are smaller than I would like. I'd prefer to have fewer of them and have them bigger.

Slide-out pantry shelves are a gift from God.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks for your input.  I made a note on my plans for the slide-out pantry shelving.  I can see that as a big improvement.

i can’t have my sink and stove on the same wall but they will be adjacent which is how my current kitchen is arranged and I’m okay with that. I’m not planning for a sink in the island, I want all that real-estate available for prepping and assembly.

Your needs are much bigger than mine.  I mostly cook for one or two and my meals are fairly simple.

As I’m sure I’ve mentioned before, the vent hood is a biggie for me and I plan to get a good one with direct venting.

My current kitchen doesn’t and can’t have a vent of any kind due to the location and it’s been a thorn in my side all these years.

New kitchen has the range on an outside wall so venting is easy.

ETA:  The drawer depth was an item mentioned by my friend who will be a neighbor in the new community...I measured the drawers I currently have (3-½ inch deep) and decided to specify at least four inches for the new ones.  

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mumkin said:

This is what I’m referring to. These are tall stems, so they take up a lot of space, but it does the job. I’m not sure how well it would hold teacups though:21EA13CF-DFC4-4E16-AE14-40CDA1A4CA0A.jpeg.a0b13a2ce8fdeda6b0cf94db22b73704.jpeg

I need to figure out where I put mine, though these days I use very few wine glasses.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Oh, to have venting to the outside...alas, fairly impossible in a small NYC apartment.

Re: teacups - don't they go ON TOP of those flip down grayish wine-stem holder thingies?

The aforementioned slide-out pantry shelves; with the aforementioned Kitchen Aid. And some other stuff.  Make sure, if you get slide-out pantry shelves, that you get heavy duty rails. These rails support 100 lbs., and all of the rails and hardware for my kitchen cabs came from BLUM.

1667080210_2018-06-0807756.thumb.JPG.b8cac0fc71f87151a42378eb2c1755e7.JPG

My semi-custom cabs came from Cab Parts.  With a good contractor and architect, they saved me a ton and they basically make any size you need.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Oh, to have venting to the outside...alas, fairly impossible in a small NYC apartment.

Re: teacups - don't they go ON TOP of those flip down grayish wine-stem holder thingies?

The aforementioned slide-out pantry shelves; with the aforementioned Kitchen Aid. And some other stuff.  Make sure, if you get slide-out pantry shelves, that you get heavy duty rails. These rails support 100 lbs., and all of the rails and hardware for my kitchen cabs came from BLUM.

My semi-custom cabs came from Cab Parts.  With a good contractor and architect, they saved me a ton and they basically make any size you need.

Very nice.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kayb said:

In my last place, I had an over the range microwave with ducted exhaust that was vented up through the second story roof.  It actually worked pretty well.  If I opened the window in the adjacent dining room, and used the highest fan speed, it really sucked the fresh air in and pulled any smoke/cooking up and out. 

Edited to add that my range at the time was a standard household gas range, no super high powered burners.  If you've got high powered burners then a 600CFM fan (which is about the max you can get in an over the range MW), isn't really going to be enough. 

I'm in sort of the same situation now. My current thinking is that if I go through the expense of running the ducting then I should get a proper hood and relocate the MW.  I don't use it all that often but that location is very handy.  In my case, venting would be an easy straight up situation and the blueprints tell me there was an exhaust fan there at one time so it should be doable.  All moot at the moment...no mun, no fun 🙃 though when the MW dies, I'll probably be forced to find some!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

15 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

My current thinking is that if I go through the expense of running the ducting then I should get a proper hood and relocate the [microwave].  I don't use it all that often but that location is very handy.

I'm really, really interested in a good place to put the microwave (it currently takes up a LOT of the available counter space). Unlike some other folks, our microwave gets used several times per day.

I did put in after-market slide-out shelves in the lower cabinets which idea has been really useful.

Edited by TdeV
Clarity (log)
  • Like 1

If I had unlimited funds, I'd replace my double wall ovens with a triple stack of MW, steam oven and conventional oven.  And maybe just a framed, finished opening with an outlet in the back for the MW so I could slide a cheap one in there vs the pricy built-ins.  Though I guess if I had unlimited funds, I wouldn't be worrying about that 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, kayb said:

I'm kind of curious about this, so I'm going to ask for clarification. Is it your current microwave that you're specifically attached to, or the general notion of an over-range microwave?

I've always considered an over-the-range microwave to be the sort of thing one does from stark necessity, when there's no other practical place to have one. If there are specific advantages to such an arrangement I'd be curious to hear them.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I've always considered an over-the-range microwave to be the sort of thing one does from stark necessity, when there's no other practical place to have one. If there are specific advantages to such an arrangement I'd be curious to hear them.

1.  Very handy to have it at eye level for easy monitoring

2.  The stove below is a handy, heat-proof surface for setting down a hot container

3.  Most of my microwave use is thawing or warming something that's going to go right into a pot on the stove so the location is extremely efficient.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I'm kind of curious about this, so I'm going to ask for clarification. Is it your current microwave that you're specifically attached to, or the general notion of an over-range microwave?

MWO is NOT part of the stove, but is built into the cabinetry over the stove. It has one of those next-to-useless hood vents that sucks air through an alleged filter and blows it back out into the room. I cannot tell it does any good at all. I put a fan in my window over the sink, opposite the stove, and set it so it sucks air out of the room when I'm cooking something smelly. It's less that optimal.

I have seen vents built into the wall behind the stove. That's what I'm looking toward. I'd like the microwave to stay where it is, for convenience's sake. It doesn't block anything on the stove, and I'm loath to give up counter space to house one. It doesn't get used a lot -- to boil water, to melt butter, to warm up the grandchild's frozen pancakes and chicken nuggets, and to make peanut brittle. That's about it.

ETA: And I see I misread your query. I do specifically like this microwave, but I also am attached to having it over the stove (note above).

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

40 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

1.  Very handy to have it at eye level for easy monitoring

2.  The stove below is a handy, heat-proof surface for setting down a hot container

3.  Most of my microwave use is thawing or warming something that's going to go right into a pot on the stove so the location is extremely efficient.

Having seared, scalded or outright ignited various portions of my clothing and anatomy over the years, I'm averse to reaching over the stove for anything. As always, though, it's useful to hear opposed views.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning