• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chromedome

chromedome

26 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I've always considered any microwave to be superfluous, but of course I'm an outlier.

Once the CSO came into being, I 'm quite happy that a microwave has no place in my kitchen.

Yup. My GF did without one quite happily until a couple of years before we got together (though in her case, it was because she'd believed someone's tale of them being a radiation hazard).

Mine gets used every morning to heat my oatmeal, and through the day to reheat my morning pot of tea one cup at a time. Also for thawing/reheating food as well, though not as consistently. Never really found a use-case for a CSO in my own kitchen, though doubtless if I tripped across a working specimen on a buy-sell site for a suitable price (which in my case means $50-$60 CDN) I'd splurge.

It would be a dull old world if we all had the same preferences and predilections. :)

Edited to clarify: I make a large batch of steel-cut oats and then reheat it one portion at a time over a period of days. I'm not talking about the (shudder) instant kind.

chromedome

chromedome

18 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I've always considered any microwave to be superfluous, but of course I'm an outlier.

Once the CSO came into being, I 'm quite happy that a microwave has no place in my kitchen.

Yup. My GF did without one quite happily until a couple of years before we got together (though in her case, it was because she'd believed someone's tale of them being a radiation hazard).

Mine gets used every morning to heat my oatmeal, and through the day to reheat my morning pot of tea one cup at a time. Also for thawing/reheating food as well, though not as consistently. Never really found a use-case for a CSO in my own kitchen, though doubtless if I tripped across a working specimen on a buy-sell site for a suitable price (which in my case means $50-$60 CDN) I'd splurge.

It would be a dull old world if we all had the same preferences and predilections. :)