• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lindag

lindag

16 hours ago, kayb said:

I've been cooking in my new kitchen for eight months now, and I've made a few observations.

1. I wish the sink and stove were on the same wall. I make a hell of a mess moving from one to the other.

2. The kitchen is about 2.5  feet too wide for real convenience. A larger and more functional island -- say with a prep sink in it -- would likely solve that issue.

3. I've GOT to have a better vent/hood system. Don't want to give up my over-the-stove microwave, so I'm wondering about the feasibility of mounting a vent in the wall behind the stove (which is an interior wall) and venting up between the studs to a roof exhaust.

I'm very happy with the Samsung appliances, albeit I'm still learning to cook on the stovetop, which is significantly hotter than I'm used to. Have not had problem the first with the Samsung fridge or icemaker.  Samsung dishwasher is just excellent, and the Samsung microwave is the first one I've found that will defrost a pound of ground beef without starting to cook it around the edges.

The cabinets and drawers are smaller than I would like. I'd prefer to have fewer of them and have them bigger.

Slide-out pantry shelves are a gift from God.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks for your input.  I made a note on my plans for the slide-out pantry shelving.  I can see that as a big improvement.

i can’t have my sink and stove on the same wall but they will be adjacent which is how my current kitchen is arranged and I’m okay with that. I’m not planning for a sink in the island, I want all that real-estate available for prepping and assembly.

Your needs are much bigger than mine.  I mostly cook for one or two and my meals are fairly simple.

As I’m sure I’ve mentioned before, the vent hood is a biggie for me and I plan to get a good one with direct venting.

My current kitchen doesn’t and can’t have a vent of any kind due to the location and it’s been a thorn in my side all these years.

New kitchen has the range on an outside wall so venting is easy.

ETA:  The drawer depth was an item mentioned by my friend who will be a neighbor in the new community...I measured the drawers I currently have (3-½ inch deep) and decided to specify at least four inches for the new ones.  

lindag

lindag

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I've been cooking in my new kitchen for eight months now, and I've made a few observations.

1. I wish the sink and stove were on the same wall. I make a hell of a mess moving from one to the other.

2. The kitchen is about 2.5  feet too wide for real convenience. A larger and more functional island -- say with a prep sink in it -- would likely solve that issue.

3. I've GOT to have a better vent/hood system. Don't want to give up my over-the-stove microwave, so I'm wondering about the feasibility of mounting a vent in the wall behind the stove (which is an interior wall) and venting up between the studs to a roof exhaust.

I'm very happy with the Samsung appliances, albeit I'm still learning to cook on the stovetop, which is significantly hotter than I'm used to. Have not had problem the first with the Samsung fridge or icemaker.  Samsung dishwasher is just excellent, and the Samsung microwave is the first one I've found that will defrost a pound of ground beef without starting to cook it around the edges.

The cabinets and drawers are smaller than I would like. I'd prefer to have fewer of them and have them bigger.

Slide-out pantry shelves are a gift from God.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks for your input.  I made a note on my plans for the slide-out pantry shelving.  I can see that as a big improvement.

i can’t have my sink and stove on the same wall but they will be adjacent which is how my current kitchen is arranged and I’m okay with that. I’m not planning for a sink in the island, I want all that real-estate available for prepping and assembly.

Your needs are much bigger than mine.  I mostly cook for one or two and my meals are fairly simple.

As I’m sure I’ve mentioned before, the vent hood is a biggie for me and I plan to get a good one with direct venting.

My current kitchen doesn’t and can’t have a vent of any kind due to the location and it’s been a thorn in my side all these years.

New kitchen has the range on an outside wall so venting is easy.