• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Cleaning Question

palo

I have an Air Fryer (Chefman 6.8 qt) with a non-stick interior. It's not Teflon or a facsimile, but rather a "painted" on finish that is indeed non-stick. The manufacturer claims it to be dish washer safe. My concern is that dishwashers tend to be like "sandblasting" your utensils. 

My question would using an oven cleaner such as "Easy Off" be a reasonable alternative. Aside from a good washing afterwards are there other concerns? Would it harm the non-stick coating. What research I've done indicates ceramic is a commonly used Teflon alternative but unsure if that is what has been used.

I've tried scouring with as coarse a grade pad as I could find and the polymers are there to stay.

Any help with this would be thankfully accepted.

p

I've used this stuff on commercial equipment with some success, so it might work for you. It's not expensive.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/mean-green-degreaser-cleaner/6000116249610

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Have you tried Barkeeper's Friend? I use the liquid version of it on my glass cooktop all the time and it works great. I haven't gone long enough between scrubbings for anything to get really polymerized on the cooktop, though.

• Like 1

Patty