• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

9Barista - A "Real" Stovetop Espresso Maker

weinoo

Anyone see this?

Anyone have this?

William Playford, 9Barista’s founder, has two great passions in life; jet engines and espresso coffee.
He started building jet engines as a teenager and went on to study jet engineering at Cambridge.
His love for good coffee started in Italy, slowly turning from love to something of an obsession.

But how are these two things linked?

Well, top quality espresso machines need three things to make perfect coffee: high pressures, perfectly controlled temperatures and precision engineered components. The same three things that a jet engine requires.

William decided that if anyone could engineer a small but perfectly formed home espresso machine, it was him.

Finally, five years later, 9Barista, the first ever jet-engineered stove top coffee machine was born.

https://9barista.com/

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The website says he's not shipping until April 2020. And even then, I wonder if he'll ship to the US.

179°C = 354°F. Interesting. And £295 = $383. Even more interesting

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

the machine looks kinda cool but i wonder if it's easy to clean. it looks small enough to put into your office 

here's a pic i saw on the web 

The first jet-engineered stove top espresso machine

i'm currently looking for coffee roaster that could hold more beans and doesn't look as ugly as the SR-series. any ideas? saw one on kickstarter that i wanted but its in development for years. The ugly looking SR series that I have is pictured below 

71I6Glp%2BjkL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by eugenep (log)
  • Like 1

if you are going to get interested in roasing

Id seriously consider this :

https://www.roastmasters.com/behmor.html

I had this roaster in the earli9er version , and used it for ' Drip " that I roasted , Vac'd

and sent to my sister.

I have a larger roaster for espresso  , but that's a different story.

the above place give you 8 lba green coffee sample and has free shipping

Im very loyal to SweetMaria , the the obove is a better deal.

you can do a fine job on 1/3 d of a lbs w this drum roaster

and the initial investment will pay off in no time , and you will have better fresher coffee  

that you can taylor to your own taste-profile.

an issue for the espresso ' single shot '   is that its a single shot

and you can't make any adjustments.   if carefully designed you might not need to.

having several shots at the same time ?

might be an issue , cool down etc.

but its impressive for sure

Id wait until someone at HomeBarista.com   puts it through its paces if I were you.

did I mention how important a very good grinder is for Espresso ?

looking forward to HB.com  's  reviews

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

it looks very interesting.

if , and its a big if , it works

and produced high grade espresso,

$ 383   is a bargain price.

these are high-entry level machines :

https://www.amazon.com/Rancilio-Espresso-Machine-Stainless-13-4-Inch/dp/B00H1OUSD2

and not that easy to use.

Sure looks like it works.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@TdeV 

your grinder is as important as you Espresso maker

it should ' match '  for the Cup you hope to make.

its very complex , but  

a grinder the does not give you uniform bits

w/o heating them up

will not help you w what ever espresso machine

a real espresso machine

you get.

it takes time

some experience over the years

start out w something

work it over , and then decide to keep it 

or move up.

I can't over emphasize how easy it is

to Roast Your Own

as an initial starting point :

green beans > Roasted Beans > grinding those  beans > extracting the coffee you  like

drip if fine

really good drip

do not think that espresso is better than drip

its different , and that all there is to it.

@rotuts, thanks.

Not long ago I had the best cup of coffee I've ever had in my life. My friend's husband roasts their beans fresh (every week, I think).

This roaster sounds promising. DH drinks decaf drip coffee. Our grinder doesn't have a brand, was made in Hong Kong, and has worked serviceably for many years. Where should I look for a new grinder?

The coffee my friend gave me was amazing.

@TdeV 

""   I had the best cup of coffee I've ever had ""

Ive had this twice

that's what started me off to roasting 

after my father moved on

I no longer went to visit him a few times a year

abd brought home coffee form :

http://www.connoisseurcoffeeco.com

an article in the WSJ , friday , before there was a saturday

had informations for the Swells  :

Best cashmere sweater 

etc.

grinders should match your extraction method

and do one-pass-thr0ugh 

and not heat up the beans buy re grinding.

for drip  : id say any one pass through burr grinder

if who'll be easy to clean , unplugged of course 1

residue  , oils and what not oxidize and are not what you might want.

w that roaster , a large investment

you can roast de-caff from Sweet maria

and regular for you.

your preferred extraction method will determine your grinder to match

then out of the blue :  roasting your own coffee at home.

yes the Coffee experts said !

so  I started :   the first is no longer made , nor the second :

iRoast   but I learned gradually

then moved to espresso as I initially did not think espresso could be made

in this country .  remember :  I lived growing up 2 years in France and 2 Years in Spain

way back before now.

but you can.

Id also note that the base is small.

you would have to be careful if you use gas for heating.

its made of brass, and might have a steel or aluminum outer covering.

can't say if its induction capable.

HB.com wil get one eventually and review it

I'll be curious to see reviews. I'm not completely clear on how it maintains pressure at the puck while it's extracting. If the extraction is too long, that's a problem; if it's short, then that tiny boiler is going to have to work hard to equalize the pressure. But I'll give the jet engine engineer the benefit of the doubt on this one.

As Rotus suggested, you'll need a grinder that costs a few times what this thing costs before good espresso becomes a possibility. 

Notes from the underbelly

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

exactly

everything is in Series

from the Bush => GreenBean =>  etc etc =>  grinder =>  Operator => Extractor

guess which is the weakest link !

The water?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@rotuts

I think you may have overlooked NY's 50-year, $5bn project to build water tunnel #3? Scheduled for completion this year!

https://www.water-technology.net/projects/new-york-tunnel-3/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

15 hours ago, rotuts said:

BTW  @weinoo 

Id dip-stik some of the Fine NYC water if i were you.

Id bet its not what it used to be.

those fine members of the NYC.Gov haven't invested in its infrastructure for

a century or more, fair guess.

The water's very good. It's almost ideal for coffee, if you live in the parts of the city that get all their water from the Catskills reservoirs. Some might like a bit more mineral content, but you can always add some magnesium and calcium. I've tried ... it's interesting but not really worth it IMO. If you're in parts of Manhattan or the Bronx, your water is mix of Catskills and Croton reservoir water. The mix changes all the time. So the water can be a little harder, or a lot harder. Sometimes good for coffee, sometimes less so. 

The infrastructure that affects the water is the pipes in your building. Lots of old buildings have nasty, corroded galvanized pipes that add rust and silt and who knows what to the water. A filter takes care of this. If you use a carbon filter it also takes care of the chlorine.

Edited to add ... regarding infrastructure investment, they've been building a whole new aqueduct, as a backup for the other two. It's been in progress for 40 years and is the biggest capital investment project in the history if NYC. Supposed to be completed this year. It won't change the water quality. It will let them shut down the other tunnels for maintenance for the first time ever.

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Thanks 1

Notes from the underbelly

On 2/19/2020 at 10:38 AM, rotuts said:

if you are going to get interested in roasing

Id seriously consider this :

https://www.roastmasters.com/behmor.html

I had this roaster in the earli9er version , and used it for ' Drip " that I roasted , Vac'd

and sent to my sister.

I have a larger roaster for espresso  , but that's a different story.

the above place give you 8 lba green coffee sample and has free shipping

Im very loyal to SweetMaria , the the obove is a better deal.

you can do a fine job on 1/3 d of a lbs w this drum roaster

and the initial investment will pay off in no time , and you will have better fresher coffee  

that you can taylor to your own taste-profile.

an issue for the espresso ' single shot '   is that its a single shot

and you can't make any adjustments.   if carefully designed you might not need to.

having several shots at the same time ?

might be an issue , cool down etc.

but its impressive for sure

Id wait until someone at HomeBarista.com   puts it through its paces if I were you.

did I mention how important a very good grinder is for Espresso ?

looking forward to HB.com  's  reviews

I have a Cafe Gene and like it.  Had  previously been roasting with a turbo oven and stir crazy popcorn base with the heater disconnected to allow the stir crazy to just keep the beans moving under the turbo oven.    The Gene is still hot air roasting but it allows you to set temp and roasting time and has a chaff collector as well.  Very even roasts 

76C6B7E1-8A6E-4583-9FAE-E4A0956512E6.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 2

You control the roast level and can stop the roast at any time.    Even though the roaster can be programmed to go into the cool mode, I dump mine into a colander on top of a down draft cooling fan which rapidly cools the roast.  I try to push through first crack and into the beginning of 2nd crack before stopping and dumping into my cooling unit. 

• Like 1

The only problem is the fan that pushes the heated air through the drum makes it difficult to hear the cracks.  As it nears first crack in color I’m moving closer to the roaster to watch the color of the beans and wait for the crackling of second to stop the roast and dump into my bean cooler.   I replace the drum and let the roaster run through its cooling cycle or at least 1/2 way before stopping it and reloading for the next roast.   2 full batches will fill a mason jar with a little bit leftover