• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

42 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Canada Dry is better than the rest of the commercial ginger ales, but it is still too sweet and bland for my taste. Ginger beer is fun in small quantities. I can't typically drink a whole bottle by myself, it's too intense. Does anyone have a recipe for a ginger ale that's a bit more punchy and not so sweet, but not nearly as potent as ginger beer?

Katie: here's a starting point for you:  100g sugar to 1kg water (aka 1 liter water), and ginger can be anywhere from a couple small knobs to an entire "hand" of it.  Start with that, then adjust next time if you find it too sweet or not sweet enough.  The ginger part is a little tough, because sometimes the ginger is very strong and other times it is not.

You can make ginger beer/ale in three ways:

- concentrated simple syrup, and dilute with carbonated water; or

- a ginger bug (naturally fermented); or

- commercial yeast - most recommended is champagne yeast

I've done all three.  I really like a sharp, burning ginger beer, so I tend to use an entire hand.

Alton Brown has an episode on making ginger ale with champagne yeast.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/ginger-ale-recipe-1944722

You can speed down the chilling time by using half the water and pouring over equal amount of ice.

Super easy :)

jedovaty

jedovaty

32 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Canada Dry is better than the rest of the commercial ginger ales, but it is still too sweet and bland for my taste. Ginger beer is fun in small quantities. I can't typically drink a whole bottle by myself, it's too intense. Does anyone have a recipe for a ginger ale that's a bit more punchy and not so sweet, but not nearly as potent as ginger beer?

Katie: here's a starting point for you:  100g sugar to 1kg water (aka 1 liter water), and ginger can be anywhere from a couple small knobs to an entire "hand" of it.  Start with that, then adjust next time if you find it too sweet or not sweet enough.  The ginger part is a little tough, because sometimes the ginger is very strong and other times it is not.

You can make ginger beer/ale in three ways:

- concentrated simple syrup, and dilute with carbonated water; or

- a ginger bug (naturally fermented); or

- commercial yeast - most recommended is champagne yeast

I've done all three.  I really like a sharp, burning ginger beer, so I tend to use an entire hand.

Alton Brown has an episode on making ginger ale with champagne yeast.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/ginger-ale-recipe-1944722

Super easy :)