• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc Flying High in Amsterdam

Kerry Beal

49 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@Kerry Beal, I know you are busy and all, but Kerry, I think I might have a lead for you😉.  Please observe this candy I bought a couple of days ago.  It is called Butter Krak and is a special candy only available around Easter.  It is very good – dark chocolate, regular and toasted coconut and butter cream.  But, please look at that chocolate.  That is the worst temper I’ve ever seen on a commercial product.  It is truly worse than mine.  And that can’t actually be fingerprints visible on the surface? 

IMG_1412.jpg.b0c15c978a3603d2d974d365a35122da.jpg

It may not have butter but at least it has a crack.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Kerry Beal, I know you are busy and all, but Kerry, I think I might have a lead for you😉.  Please observe this candy I bought a couple of days ago.  It is called Butter Krak and is a special candy only available around Easter.  It is very good – dark chocolate, regular and toasted coconut and butter cream.  But, please look at that chocolate.  That is the worst temper I’ve ever seen on a commercial product.  It is truly worse than mine.  And that can’t actually be fingerprints visible on the surface? 

IMG_1412.jpg.b0c15c978a3603d2d974d365a35122da.jpg

Clearly not handled well! It is either old or has not been stored under ideal conditions. What you are seeing is form VI transformation. Cocoa butter crystals are always striving towards reaching form VI which is their most stable form. The form V crystals in well tempered chocolate eventually transform and work their way through the surface of the chocolate and recrystallize there giving the chocolate a dusty appearance. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Clearly not handled well! It is either old or has not been stored under ideal conditions. What you are seeing is form VI transformation. Cocoa butter crystals are always striving towards reaching form VI which is their most stable form. The form V crystals in well tempered chocolate eventually transform and work their way through the surface of the chocolate and recrystallize there giving the chocolate a dusty appearance. 

See!  Even when I make a joke, I am in such august company that I end up learning something.  So, this "VI transformation" is why some years my chocolate candy looks good for a couple of days and then starts looking a little dusty after that?  Good to know.  Thanks, ma'am!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

See!  Even when I make a joke, I am in such august company that I end up learning something.  So, this "VI transformation" is why some years my chocolate candy looks good for a couple of days and then starts looking a little dusty after that?  Good to know.  Thanks, ma'am!

Well - if you've just tempered it and a day or so later it looks dusty - then its essentially the same process but with form IV converting to form V.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Well - if you've just tempered it and a day or so later it looks dusty - then its essentially the same process but with form IV converting to form V.

If the chocolate was just tempered shouldn't it be in form V?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If the chocolate was just tempered shouldn't it be in form V?

So well tempered chocolate will be in form V - poorly tempered might be form IV. 

• Like 1

The plane we flew in was the same that we flew over in last week. It's an old one - and we discovered today that means no WiFi.

IMG_0661.thumb.jpg.92c458e309274952f1fb717733ae9b14.jpg

We had about 10 min in the lounge in Amsterdam by the time the automatic passport reader rejected me and spit me out to the line to get stamped by a real person. We saw lunch being brought out just as we left so it was slim pickens.

IMG_0664.thumb.jpg.a91d411a1760b4068c536adbde2187dc.jpg

IMG_0666.thumb.jpg.f697c970daead0b82b3c7797984bc84d.jpg

Lunch was an app of pea puree and smoked salmon. 

IMG_0667.thumb.jpg.6d2b83c36543bdf001016ea81d0a7aa9.jpg

Green thai curry.

IMG_0669.thumb.jpg.9c08165d4d7490a4126746e0718e6cf2.jpg

cheese to finish (there was dessert after that but I passed)

Then a bit before landing - another meal - chicken ham with orzo.

IMG_0670.thumb.jpg.481e07c1693d4ba4a0fba088d753f0f2.jpg

Two big honking chocolates in that box. I bit into one - and rejected it. Flight attendant tried to give it to me when she took the tray - I said no - and she dumped it back into a container full of the boxes. Going to be a bit of a surprise if someone gets that box!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

My thought too - but texture was nice, flavor was nice.

It was huge a few years back. I remember making it. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I've made it salting sous vide before cooking.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I've made it salting sous vide before cooking.

Well, please, what exactly is it?

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

37 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Curious minds would like to know.

This is most likely the recipe I used or something very similar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

50 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks.  This is the first time I've heard if it.

There’s a topic for that.

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I assume , based on the AirCanada pics

that KB  AKA  CD is back in The Toronto Area

thank you for taking us along

and I thank you for the Menus' pics

Yes we are home - back to the grind - dealing with all the stuff we left behind 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks!  I just read it and posted a request for @FeChef to confirm his brine and instructions.  I'd like to try it.

I just trussed two large boneless skinless breats with the thick ends opposit to make a round cylinder shape, brine in 500g of water, 20g of morton tender quick and 1 tsp of liquid smoke for 48 hours. Sous vide at 140F for 3-4 hours.

• Thanks 2