• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Repurposing white chocolate passion fruit bonbons

curls

So due to an inventory error I was short on passion fruit purée and my second batch of Valentine’s Day passion fruit bon bons were made with a combo of passion fruit juice, guava purée, and passion fruit jelly. They are too sweet for my tastes, should have tried adding some citric acid to the mix but I thought of that after the bon bons were capped and out of the moulds. Anyway, I don’t want to freeze the extras for future sales.

Any ideas on how I can repurpose them in a dessert? I’m thinking along the lines of melting them and turning them into a ganache frosting for cake/cupcakes but any ideas are welcome.

is it a white chocolate shell?  How many do you have to re-purpose?

You can totally melt them down and make a new ganache.  Add a bit of liquid (lemon, lime, more passion fruit) to allow for the chocolate in the shells and adjust flavor at the same time.  Then make more bonbons or fill macarons or layer cakes, tartlets or cream puffs.  Make whipped ganache frosting or add ganache to italian/swiss butter cream.  I did the last option just today - had thrown together some vegan strawberry bonbons with Valrhona Fraise but the texture was weird so I melted them, added the resulting goo to SMBC and sent strawberry cupcakes to my catering client.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

is it a white chocolate shell?  How many do you have to re-purpose?

Yes, the shell is white chocolate. I have 105 to re-purpose.

Thought of the whipped ganache frosting. Did not know I could make a swiss meringue butter cream and and re-purposed bon bons to that -- would you mind sharing your method?

sure - makes about 2 qts,  I keep various flavors in the freezer, thaw & beat until fluffy as needed for cupcakes, etc

150 g egg whites (about 5)

200 g sugar (1 c)

pinch of salt

450 g unsalted butter, soft (1 lb)

+/- 3-500 g caramel sauce, ganache, lemon curd, etc

mix egg whites & sugar in kitchenaid bowl & heat over simmering water until hot (165f).  whip on high speed until meringue is thick and bowl is cool.  Add soft butter in small chunks.  Add ganache.

It's pretty forgiving, softer if you add more liquid but if your ganache is firm you can add a fair amount

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Merry Berry said:

I love bonbon inclusions in ice cream myself.  Is that a possibility for you?

That could work! Thank you for the idea. I already ran with pastrygirl’s smbc idea with this batch but always good to have a few possible back up plans. Will post a pic of the cupcakes soon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, posting took a bit longer than originally expected but here is a photo of the cupcakes with smbc frosting. My office loved them and they disappeared quickly. I used @pastrygirl's recipe and added my passionfruit bonbons, reduced guava puree, and citric acid to flavor the buttercream. The recipe made a large batch so I have enough frosting for another round of cupcakes (or a layer cake) in the freezer. Perhpas I'll bring that into the office as a post COVID-19 treat.

689685392_IMG_5879-cupcakeswithpassionfruitplusfrosting.jpg.2fd48dc05346aba530b497d9c9f11cc4.jpg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, curls said:

Perhpas I'll bring that into the office as a post COVID-19 treat.

Thank you. I think we all need to be reminded that this too shall pass. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog