• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jerusalemy kugel

shain

Traditionally served as part of a brunch/lunch spread, along with sweet dill pickles.

It can be also served as a dessert, I suggest having it along with some creme anglaise, sweetened ricotta or whipped cream if doing so.

- 400g dry spaghetti

- 250g sugar

- a few tbsp of water

- 50g butter

- 80g milk (or water)

- 5 eggs

- 1 tsp salt

- 1 to 1.5 tsp cinnamon

- 1.5 tsp dry ginger

- 2 tsp ground black pepper

- a narrow and tall non stick pot, silicon mold or well greased aluminium pan. Choose a tall and narrow one for an impressive tall result.

Prep:

- Optional but recommended: toast the dry pasta in a low oven until light reddish-brown (careful, it can easily go too far). This will lend the kugel an impressive dark-brown color and better texture.

- Cook the pasta al-dente. Drain well.

- Meanwhile, make a caramel out of sugar and water. If using a non stick pot for baking, you can make the caramel in it.

- Cook the caramel to an amber shade. If it is too dark, the result will not be sweet enough. You can add more sugar if it happen to darken too much. But make sure it's not burnt.

- Remove from heat.

- Add in the butter and mix.

- Mix in the milk.

- Mix the pasta into the caramel sauce.

- Make sure that the pasta isn't too hot, then mix in the milk, eggs, salt and spices. Mix well.

- Transfer to the baking pan/mold, or keep in the pot if its non stick.

- Cover well with aluminum foil, as air tight as you can.

- Bake for at least 9 hours and up to 16 (I haven't tried longer) at 90-100 deg C (195 F).

- You can put a few eggs in the oven as well to make haminados eggs, which are excellent in sandwiches.

- Before serving, pour 1/4 cup of boiling water on top of the kugel, then let it absorb for a short while.

- Remove from the pan and slice to serve.

- It reheats well in an oven or microwave.

IMG_20200208_134813.thumb.jpg.0aaccc9459b496cb500d5a8c1eb8260b.jpgIMG_20200208_135330.thumb.jpg.b911ba4cace24ad7681a211d8a362a14.jpg

See also the more familiar apple kugel:

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 3

~ Shai N.

41 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@shain  Thank you!  I assume it is the milk listed under the pasta that gets mixed into the caramel?  And did you mean for the apple kugel to stop at 70....?

Fixed the ingredients order, thanks.

I'm not sure what do you mean by "stop at 70"?

~ Shai N.

49 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

It says " or chopped apricots 70....."  was there a range for the apricots?

I guess that you are referring to the snippet (it cuts at a different position based on your screen size). If you follow the link, then the recipe seems ok.

• Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

You're going to convince me yet. I still can't quite wrap my head around the sweet noodle dessert, which I find odd because I'm generally pretty open-mined and adventurous, but you keep posting them and they keep looking tasty. I'm going to break at some point and at least make a small one. :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

54 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

You're going to convince me yet. I still can't quite wrap my head around the sweet noodle dessert, which I find odd because I'm generally pretty open-mined and adventurous, but you keep posting them and they keep looking tasty. I'm going to break at some point and at least make a small one. :D

I think of them more as a breakfast / brunch dishes more so than as dessert. In a way,they don't differ much from bread pudding (which I also adore) but less rich and creamy.

The apple version is more dessert-like, the Jerusalem one is usually part of a spread.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

5 minutes ago, shain said:

I think of them more as a breakfast / brunch dishes more so than as dessert. In a way,they don't differ much from bread pudding (which I also adore) but less rich and creamy.

The apple version is more dessert-like, the Jerusalem one is usually part of a spread.

And now I've had today's portion of "you learn something every day". I just assumed sweet = dessert which, as you've just clarified, is not a valid assumption to make. I really do know better. I do like bread pudding so if that's the general territory we're in, consider me even more convinced.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I've never made or eaten a kugel, but have wanted to try. Wonder how they'd work with GF pasta?

Should work well, I'd guess. Are they prone to overcooking? If not, than maybe give it a try :)

~ Shai N.