• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things "Denver"

AlaMoi

ran across a recipe for a "Denver Casserole"

potatoes layered with onion, green pepper, diced ham, cheese.

tasty item - whole meal in one dish....

sounds like a "Denver Omelet" without the eggs....

anyone know how dishes involving diced ham&(stuff) got the meta-label of "Denver"

• Like 1

http://www.coloradolifemagazine.com/May-2016/Denver-Omelet/

https://gunthertoodys.com/scrambled-history-denver-omelette/

couple different explanations … I don't care.   I love the combination and remember sharing a western(Denver) sandwich with my grandfather, Pop, many Saturdays as a kiddle at a luncheonette in Riverhead, NY near the train station.  

WOW... hadn't thought about that for years....thanks for bringing it back.

To this day if I go out for breakfast I order either a Western( and still can only eat half) or corned beef hash with hash browns and hard scrambled eggs ….. and take 2/3 of that home.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

37 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

I just got curious if there was, for example, a chef named Denver who became world famous by dicing up ham or something....

sounds like the origins are a bit murky.

For a long time you could find a Denver omelette or a Denver sandwich on diner menus even up here in Canada. Mostly they are now called Western. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

59 minutes ago, Anna N said:

For a long time you could find a Denver omelette or a Denver sandwich on diner menus even up here in Canada. Mostly they are now called Western. 

Makes me cringe - bell peppers, ham - running now