• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Will Mushrooms Chase Kale from the Produce Aisle?

Anna N

Click.

According to this article mushrooms are the new star of the produce department. I can only hope this is true!

”Some grocery stores are keeping up with demand by growing mushrooms on site.”

Brace yourselves for recipes calling for mushrooms in all the wrong places. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Not in the US in my guesstimation. We have fungi fear. Kale goes into those green smoothie things. I'd buy the big portobellos at the dollar store and bozos would look at me like I was risking my life for a dirt looking item. Love them  personally although y'all can have the skiitakes - do not do it for me. 

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Not in the US in my guesstimation.

Check the date line of the news article. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm dubious about a commercially-viable  in-store mushroom farm. I live right next to the mushroom capital and I have heard from growers that its a fiddling business, growing the fungi.  Soil must be composted carefully, sterilized and frequently refreshed. One of the reasons that the industry is centered around here is that the ancillary businesses are here and can efficiently serve the growers. The product must be harvested when its ready as well. Mushroom houses work 365 days a year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Check the date line of the news article. 

I can read. New York is not middle America. Cost is an issue.  Mushroom guy at my big farmers market struggles tremendously.  Ok maybe not at Santa Monica or Hollywood where the big time chefs shop but that is a niche. 

Well, fwiw Atlantic Canada is somewhat of a culinary hinterland and I can easily find a half-dozen kinds each of fresh and dried mushrooms at any supermarket.

Truthfully, though, given their aforementioned lack of utility in juicing, smoothies, etc. I don't see them really catching on the way kale or celery or cauliflower did.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Also the issue of promotion by "Councils". Don't get me started on dairy. There s a great moment in this interview where Misha Collins talks about being solicited by the Kale Council to rep for them. Kinda hilarious. Around minute 23 or so  https://soundcloud.com/user-306003081/special-sauce-misha-collins-on

50 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Truthfully, though, given their aforementioned lack of utility in juicing, smoothies, etc. I don't see them really catching on the way kale or celery or cauliflower did.

But unlike celery and kale, mushrooms taste good.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Frankly I've never understood the Kale commotion. Lacinato kale I like in some soups, but generally I find Chard to be the best tasting and most versatile of all the greens. It holds up in soups better than spinach, and tastes good. It can be subbed for collards in a saute and flavored with bacon or ham stock, etc. like collards, but takes way less time to cook. Parboiled and then squeezed out it makes a more substantial and flavorful lasagne layer than spinach. 

I know there are folks that eat kale raw in salads, but it doesn't appeal to me that way in either texture or flavor. And if the marketing has convinced you that kale is a super food, you should check out kale vs all the other dark leafy greens. Most of them are very similar in nutrients or antioxidents or whatever; kale isn't any better or worse if you look at all the vitamin and mineral contents in comparison. If you are not wild about kale you should consider yourself guilt free.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh I like chard and have often grown it but it is different to me from kale. I read these stooopid articles about kids not eating vegetables. Little boy down the street would wax eloquent about the chard he grew with grammy -   he enjoyed it with a bit of butter. 

• Like 1

Re: little boys not eating veggies. My youngest grandchild's favorite snack, or at least one of them, is strips of raw bell pepper.

I'm not real sure the kid is mine.

• Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Re: little boys not eating veggies. My youngest grandchild's favorite snack, or at least one of them, is strips of raw bell pepper.

I'm not real sure the kid is mine.

Oh the boys. One was checking out the veg garden (tortoise MIA)  and brushed against celery.. Mrs K! this smells like celery. yes dear that is what it naturally looks like.   We got out some peanut butter and he munched away. 

• Like 1