• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone made sugar free chocolates with Callebaut Liquor??

StainedShirt

I am wondering if anyone has been tempering and molding sugar free chocolates with, "Callebaut 100% Cocoa Chocolate Liquor." I am curious if one could add about 40% cocoa butter, say Anthony's for instance and ones own favored flavorings and sweetener. So far I have only been microwave tempering Trader Joe's 72% with mixed results, so initially I was noodling ways to get the sugar down from its roughly 30%. So making bonbons with cream cheese, peanut putter, pepper jack etc had come to mind. But having found the Callebaut pure liquor for $7.99 a pound opens some possibilities. 

So anyone have some feedback?

• Like 1

Hi keychris. No I have not tasted it yet. In fact only the C811 is all of Callebaut I have sated so far and I found it boring. But intend to purchase some 70-30-38 and the 100% liquor today.

I was on the ketogenic diet for a couple months so have accumulated a few artificial sweeteners. I have not even opened the allulose bag yet. The modern substances have no gastric distress for most folks, unlike the old malitol and sorbitol of old. I still like liquid sucralose (generic Splenda) the best. But this is specific to each individual. So far the benchmark for me is the Trader Joe's 72%. 38g serving, 10g sugar. The immediate relaxing and lifting of mood I get from 1/2 ounce is consistent.

At the same time I realize my tasting experience is very limited. I was in my mid 30s before I could taste or smell anything at all, and having a limited income there is not much I could purchase for expanding such knowledge. The various graphs from searching Google for "chocolate flavour wheel" will illuminate far more than I would need. 

• Like 1

So, it looks like nobody else has stepped up, so I'll give it a go. 

I've made no sugar chocolate from callebaut liquor and allulose. It works well, actually. Unfortunately, you need a melanger to grind the allulose. Sugar does not dissolve in chocolate. At all. If you add the crystals to melted chocolate, you'll get chocolate with grains of allulose in it. The melanger grinds the sweetener until it's fine enough to not feel the grains when you eat it. 

Unfortunately, you can't get around this by using a liquid sweetener, as those are almost always water-based, and adding anything with water will ruin the chocolate. This includes water-based flavorings. 

Sorry if this was too basic, but it's a very common misperception. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll help as best as I can.