• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Group tea tasting: Fuding BaiMudan White Tea

cdh

Bouncing off your "good enough" set up, I was amused at above mentioned Aroma Teas when a customer asked about a specific kind of tea.     She then asked how to brew it, and if she needed any of the displayed paraphernalia.    The proprietor shook his head and told her all she needed was a cup and a strainer, then proceeded to heat water and demonstrate with the kind of tea she had selected.    I was impressed with this kind of concerned and interested service.   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Started tasting this yesterday, then continued today:

20200216_171251.thumb.jpg.31c6de2180da185bec8d90d776c44cb7.jpg

20200216_171428(1).thumb.jpg.3a8398f8128182919361b3dd26b8cefd.jpg

6g in my 150ml yixin tea pot.  I did quite  a lot of watching of mei leaf videos (wow he is wordy!) but I thought I got a good hang of what aged white tea is all about and how to brew it.  Following his instructions, I used about 200-205F water, the first 3 infusions steeped for about 20 seconds, and then increasing the steep time by 5 seconds for each additional steeping.

So far, I'm up to 8 steepings.

The first few steepings were creamy with lemon zest, and quite tingly on the sides of my tongue.  As the steepings progressed for 3-6 I got a lot more forest floor - dried leaves, chanterelle mushrooms and dried twigs.  Steeping #7 turned a corner and as it cooled became intensely dried apricot.  Like I stuffed 5 soft dried apricots in my mouths and just chewed for a while. #8 still has the over-riding flavor of apricots but not as soft dried as #7 - more like a heavier dried apricot.

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 2

You've hit the fruity middle steeps.  It keeps on going and going. 

On the Mei Leaf front, I've never done the boil the white tea leaves at the end thing that he advocates.  I might have to try that after about infusion 15. 

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

9 minutes ago, cdh said:

You've hit the fruity middle steeps.  It keeps on going and going. 

On the Mei Leaf front, I've never done the boil the white tea leaves at the end thing that he advocates.  I might have to try that after about infusion 15. 

This is my first time with any aged white tea, so I am open to everything.  I'm going to save the leaves (well drained) and continue the journey next weekend.

• Like 1

I received my tea in the mail last week, and am finally able to sit with it.  For my first steep, I brewed at 185 for 30 seconds.  I brewed 5 grams of tea in 110 ml of water.  My first impression is of a very gentle, creamy brew.  I get a mild tanin on the nose, and almost more mouthfeel than flavor.  On the first sip, I had just a momentary hint of apricot on the finish.  Coming back to the cup, cooler, there is a definite sweetness, and perhaps more hints of apricot/peachiness.

2nd infusion, same proportions, temp, for 40 seconds.  A great increase in color on this steep.  Very much golden, hinting into orange.  No noticeable change on the nose.  More tanin up front on tasting. Sweetness seems more subdued.  Perhaps hidden by the tannin?

3rd infusion, 185 f, 110 ml water, 45 seconds.  Tannin seems slightly more muted on the nose. Color has shifted more towards orange.  Color may be shifting my impression of taste, as I am noticing a orangey flavor immediately as I sip.  Still some tannin on the palate that lingers in the mouthfeel.  The creaminess if the first infusion is at least balanced by the tannin now, if not removed altogether.  Flavors now seem to be muted as the cup cools.

• Like 1

4th infusion, same process as 3rd.  Getting some apricot on the nose now, along with the tannin.  Tasting, the tannin is definitely less prominent and a creaminess is being revealed again.  Lingering finish.  Fruit is not as evident on the palate in this infusion.

Edited by donk79 (log)
  • Like 1