• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese pastries - TAY

Dejah

Been feeling nostalgic and missing my Mom's cooking, especially during Lunar New Year. She used to make so many "tay" - pastries. One that I loved was the Haam shui Gok. I have never made them before, but between my 82 year old sister-in-law with whom my Mom lived for +15 years, we researched and experiments from memory, and we came up with these!

The filling, more ingredients than most dim sum restaurants: ground pork, lap cheung, dong goo, salted turnip, ha mai, celery, garlic in oyster sauce and sesame oil.
The pastry was glutinous rice flour and a bar of brown sugar dissolved in hot water. The dough was very soft, so next time, we will add a little wheat starch to give it more body. These were deep fried in peanut oil .
474067540_8Cookedfilling0643.thumb.jpg.79dcd5e5bafdc986eecbc252ce7e08a0.jpg

1502674063_11Goldencrescents0652.thumb.jpg.a101632fffec60240346131b000d2b8c.jpg

Crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside. Pure bliss!
267620757_13PerfectChewytexture0657.jpg.3abc8b8e35ad3e47cfa2dfa6ba33e07a.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• participating member
  •  
  • 3,865 posts

Been feeling nostalgic and missing my Mom's cooking, especially during Lunar New Year. She used to make so many "tay" - pastries. One that I loved was the Haam shui Gok. I have never made them before, but between my 82 year old sister-in-law with whom my Mom lived for +15 years, we researched and experiments from memory, and we came up with these!

The filling, more ingredients than most dim sum restaurants: ground pork, lap cheung, dong goo, salted turnip, ha mai, celery, garlic in oyster sauce and sesame oil.
The pastry was glutinous rice flour and a bar of brown sugar dissolved in hot water. The dough was very soft, so next time, we will add a little wheat starch to give it more body. These were deep fried in peanut oil .
More ingredients than found at dim sum restaurant fare:
Ground pork, lap cheung, dong goo, salted turniip. ha mai, garlic, celery, oyster sauce, sesame seed oil
27161073_8Cookedfilling0643.thumb.jpg.b8447aba7e3ec499fc048036b4dc01a4.jpg

Deep fried crescents

1463793710_11Goldencrescents0652.thumb.jpg.1b8bc430bb8680b9dca5a49afb785adf.jpg

263563872_13PerfectChewytexture0657.jpg.aa898e8b381cb6f0efc54287b59a8516.jpg

Crispy outside, chewy inside. Pure blissful memory of my Mom!

• Like 6

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Wow those sound like an experience many of us have not had but would relish. Re-creating taste memories is an interesting aspect of food life. My ex would wax poetic about some dish he adored from the hospital where his mom worked, I tried but eventually we found one of the cooks and sat down with her for a day. It was extraordinary. 

• Thanks 1

Apologies on the double posts. I had mistakenly placed the post in the Chinese Veg thread, reported it, and asked to have it removed. However, I see it's on here TWICE!🤪
@liuzhou: I noticed your query about what is 'Tay". That's in the Toisanese dialect - village dialect from Guangdong province. Tay is a group of Chinese pastries, some savoury like this Haam Shui Gok, and the sweet ones made for Lunar New Year "Chang Tay" - sesame balls, Fan Sua (similar to har gow except with ground pork, etc)
http://www.hillmanweb.com/soos/seedball.html

• Thanks 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com