• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

50 Cookbooks 50!

Alex

I've stared to winnow our collection by setting aside 50 books we haven't opened in a long while, or ones that are the least useful now and probably forever. Before donating them to our public library system or local community college's culinary program, I thought I'd see if any eG'ers would be interested in any (or all) of them. All I'd ask is that you pay the shipping cost (media mail rate to the U.S.) plus add a little something for us -- whatever you think is fair. Of course I'd prefer multiple books per address, so go for it! To avoid lots of trips to the P.O. (that's Post Office, not Parole Officer), I'll wait a week or two in order to hear from everyone who's interested. If you are, or if you have any questions, please reply via private message.

Here's a list, alphabetized by title. If the inspiration strikes, I'll add some more.

---------------------

A Return to Cooking, Eric Ripert and Michael Ruhlman

Alfredo Viazzi’s Italian Cooking

Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook

Bobby Flay's Bold American Food

Chef, Interrupted, Melissa Clark

Chez Panisse Cooking, Paul Bertoli with Alice Waters

Chez Panisse Vegetables, Alice Waters

Classical Southern Cooking, Damon Lee Fowler

Cooking the Nouvelle Cuisine in America, Michele Urvater and David Liederman

Country Inns and Back Roads Cookbook, Linda Glick Conway

Dinner at the Authentic Café, Roger Hayot

Every Night Italian, Giuliano Hazan

Field of Greens, Annie Somerville

French Chefs Cooking, Michael Buller

Italian Family Cooking, Edward Giobbi

Italian Slow and Savory, Joyce Goldstein

Jose Pizarro's Spanish Flavors

Kitchen Suppers, Alison Becker Hurt

La Mia Cucina Toscana, Pino Luongo

Living Vegetarian Cookbook, Paul Gayler

Matthew Kenney's Mediterranean Cooking

Mediterranean Cookery, Claudia Roden

Northern Italian Cooking, Francesco Ghedini

Off the Eaten Path, Bob Blumer

Patrick O'Connell's Refined American Cuisine

Quick and Easy Recipes from The New York Times, Mark Bittman

Secrets of a Jewish Baker, George Greenstein

Slow and Difficult Soups

Spain and the World Table, The Culinary Institute of America

Sweet Gratitude, Judith Sutton

Techniques of Healthy Cooking, 2nd ed., The Culinary Institute of America

The Arabian Delights Cookbook, Anne Marie Weiss-Armush

The Art of Living According to Joe Beef, Frederic Marin et al.

The Babbo Cookbook, Mario Batali

The Best Recipes in the World, Mark Bittman

The Complete Soy Cookbook, Paulette Mitchell

The Dessert Bible, Christopher Kimball

The Fearless Chef, Andy Husbands and Joe Yonan

The French Laundry Cookbook, Thomas Keller

The Indian Vegetarian, Neelam Batra

The Italian Cooking Encyclopedia, Carla Capalbo et al.

The Jewish-American Kitchen, Raymond Sokolov

The Jewish Holiday Baker, Joan Nathan

The Kitchen Sessions, Charlie Trotter

The New York Times Passover Cookbook, Linda Amster, ed.

The Paris Cookbook, Patricia Wells

The Splendid Table's How to Eat Weekends, Lynne Rossetto Kasper

Treme, Lolis Eric Elie

Urban Italian, Andrew Carmellini and Gwen Hyman

Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook

Workin' More Kitchen Sessions, Charlie Trotter

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Bumping this as a reminder. One more week, at the most, and they'll be donated locally.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

That's a great collection, Alex, and a great offering. I hope someone avails themselves of it. I'm interested, but not terribly surprised, at the overlap in our collections. :)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Last chance. Going to the library on Monday.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, VTChef said:

I wish I had joined sooner.  So many great books.

Thank you. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that there'll be another winnowing in the near future.

I love Vermont. Several decades ago, back before I-93 was completed, I came this close > < to moving to St Johnsbury.