• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Tayyab

2) The fact that he is as bald as they come and I have considerably more hair than he does. In fact his 5 month old chubbly son has more than him. :laugh:

Right. You and I are never, ever, having dinner. :laugh:

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

• 5 months later...

there's a nice piece in the "insider's guide to london newsletter" (from the evening standard, requires paid for membership) about the best kebabs in london.

new tayyeb makes the list. has anyone been here recently?

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Went for dinner at NT last night.

First time for me and had 10 others in tow. What can I say? This place is a revelation.

We ordered lots of each of the following:

tandoori chicken

chicken tikka

seekh kebabs

lamb chops

some vegetable dishes

various naans and rotis

followed by:

large dry meat

large chicken keema

large bindhi gosht

a chickpea dish

an okra dish

specials had run out unfortunately

won't go into detail as these dishes have been described before but everything was as good as I have read and the place was heaving. Only had to wait 10 mins for a table (even though I booked I expected it would be a longer wait). Service was efficient but friendly and the atmosphere was great - oh but the food..... :wub:

Am slightly embarressed about the brick lane thing now - just showing my ignorance :blush: - I think in hindsight it was the equivalent of asking for the nearest macdonalds!

Lucky I had some caring egulleteers to put me on the right track :wink:

I never thought I'd have a reason to be happy about working in Aldgate - now I do :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

A veritable feast was had by a few of us at New Tayyabs last night, including the delightful curlwurlyfi and the poor Hugh Grant look-alike from Cornwall - Slacker. Nice chap - but has funny coloured teeth and dresses like a Prefect. Note to Slacker How to avoid staining one's teeth- Don't suck the wine through your teeth dear boy- Sup it properly like the rest of us. :biggrin:

We started with a 10 Shammi kebabs that Wasim had kindly saved for us as they are actually a Wednesday night special. Moist, almost fluffy-like textured spiced lamb on the inside and slightly crispy on the outside- delicious. Then we went for a selection of the ubiquitous griddled meats- Tandoori Chicken, seekh kebabs, Lamb Tikka, Lamb Chops, Vegetable Samosas, and Massala Fish. All fantastic, and I believe the chops were a real hit with Fi. The fish was also excellent and moist and a particular favourite. All this was accompanied by a few moreish buttery naan breads. My better half as a predilection for NT's salted lassi, but with the greatest of respect it just doesn't do it for me at all. It's a salted yoghurt drink flavoured with cumin and I recoil in horror at the prospect of it - surprisingly Slacker and Fi really enjoyed a taste of Rosie's and ordered one to share themselves. Have to admit we were a tad beaten so I ordered less courses than normal for our mains. As ever dry meat was malty, tender and moreish. Chicken keema was delicious with the addition of cubes of onion and tomato( another hit) and we had a Dhal Begun - tarka dhal with baby aubergines dish. All with a few more naan breads. To finish we each had a malai kulfi which are scented with cardamom and which Slacker particularly enjoyed.

All in, the bill for seven was … a ridiculous £71.80. We left £12 each and wandered off to the tube Slacker swaying ever so slightly and clutching his prefects' satchel, all the way back to Cornwall via the circle line. :raz:

There's one coming up in October. I'll be posting details very soon.However, sorry but after that I will NOT count you in until and unless you specifically confirm and give a definite commitment. Saying I MIGHT come  will not do I'm afraid. :smile: Goes for everyone BTW.

perhaps fair, but perhaps not. i live so far out in the countryside and you never know with the trains etc, its a big shlep. and i often don't know ahead of time if i will have a deadline that prevents me from getting away and devoting a whole day to going up to london.

and you sound so cranky about it, that i think: there are lots of nice people to go to new tayeb with, and who value my company and know that sometimes I just can't get into town no matter how much i might want to..........

so have a great time at new tayeb, who wouldn't, but i'll be with people who are more flexible and value my company.

x marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

perhaps fair, but perhaps not.  i live so far out in the countryside and you never know with the trains etc, its a big shlep. and i often don't know ahead of time if i will have a deadline that prevents me from getting away and devoting a whole day to going up to london.

and you sound so cranky about it, that i think: there are lots of nice people to go to new tayeb with, and who value my company and know that sometimes I just can't get into town no matter how much i might want to..........

so have a great time at new tayeb, who wouldn't, but i'll be with people who are more flexible and value my company.

x marlena

you might want to check the date on the original post there marlena :wink:

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

first of all thank you to Bapi for organizing last night; it was my first trip to the NT and certainly won't be my last. My little Scottish heart is rejoicing - twelve quid for such a feast! Why can't it be nearer W2, is what I want to know. Particularly enjoyed the lamb chops, the dry meat (mmmm, gheeeeeeeee) and the cardamom kulfi. Good to meet everyone. Was slightly alarmed by the string of coincidences that revealed themselves: that David (Slacker) knows my friend Tom; that Robin had not only brought along a bottle of my ex-boyfriend's family's wine, but that he also knew friends of mine in Sheffield. Just goes to show one should never be nasty about anyone as it will invariably come back to smite you... Fortunately, absolutely no need to be nasty about anyone, since it was a great evening, and we bulged off towards the tube smelling faintly of raw onion. To paraphrase Governor Schwarzenegger, I'll be back.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

?

i thought bapi was there?

hope he managed a drinkable bottle of red this time, he has form  :wink:

gary

Shut it, you tart. I think you'll find I am lovely, generous, witty and bright and that you, on the other hand, are from Yorkshire. :biggrin:

Er, yes I did rather forget to mention the copious amounts of red wine that was brought along by Slacker et al. True to form - my choice was a poor Claret compared to Slackers choices - seem to remember a fine Stelllenbosch being quaffed though.

This was truly yummy. I regretted being about 6 up on everyone when the evening began, having been tasting wine since 10.30. The dry meat (Which I somehow forgot about :wacko: ) was gorgeous, and the fish, too. The Jaboulet CDR was the best, easily, with the food. The claret the worst. (what on earth were you thinking of?). The company was A1, and yes it's a small world - cos Tom's brother is Godfather to my daughter. We were in the same House, long after the biscuit game had finished, thanks Bapi. :angry::raz::raz:

Edited by slacker (log)

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

• 4 months later...

NT is really meaty. for the most yummy veg Indian I've found, go to Rasa in Dering St, just off Oxford Street. Don't be put off by the allusions to Jamie Oliver in the window. Pickles + breads for inaugural noshing are particularly good.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

there are plenty of vegetarian options (dhal, baby aubergine, baby pumpkin, sag aloo etc.) but everything is quite hot (including the raita) and so it's not necessarily the best place to take people if there's a fussy eater or two in the pack. not that vegetarians are necessarily fussy (except about meat).

there are plenty of vegetarian options (dhal, baby aubergine, baby pumpkin, sag aloo etc.) but everything is quite hot (including the raita) and so it's not necessarily the best place to take people if there's a fussy eater or two in the pack.  not that vegetarians are necessarily fussy (except about meat).

I agree- it can be quite highly spiced sometimes- but that's part of the appeal. Here is the website. There is plenty of choice as endless states, but not so for the starters.

Incidentally, I had another great meal there last Wednesday. Try the pakoras- theyr are veggie - but be warned they do have sliced green chilli's in them.

As it's just the one veggie I don't want to deny all the other meat-eaters but I feel reassured. I'm really looking forward to it, thanks for all the suggestions.

BTW, had great vegetarian food at Chowki, must write about it, but I thought it was easily as good as Mela.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

• 4 weeks later...

So, the bloody New Tayyab has "lost" my reservation for 14 people this evening. Apart from the guy on the phone is possibly the rudest man I have ever spoken with, I guess I'm not going to be eating here. Ever.

So, can anyone suggest an alternative place that they think could do a table of 14 with, what, five hours notice?

*seethes*

Edit to add we're now going to Chowki. Hail my saviour of Indian restaurants.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum