• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Tayyab

Actually you can. I booked for 7.15pm, but wifey was late (which came as a huge suprise to me ( Not). I rang to let them know that we would 15 minutes late, which they said was no problem. But when we arrived I got the feeling they had given our table away, however, we were seated within 5 minutes. I suspect thay have a rather lackadaisical attitude to booking and just seat people as and when they arrive.

Their attitude to booking is very casual. I booked a large table for my birthday and in spite of phoning three times to double check, it wasn't booked when we got there. But you never really have to wait that long and it's always worth it - and if your guests are people who have never eaten there before it's fun to watch them getting more and more excited as the food passes them on its way to the tables.

Second all of Bapi's enthusiasm. Definitely got to go back. Most people seemed to concentrate on huge plates of sizzling starters. Fish outstanding. And tandoori chicken, and kebabs ... oh dear making me hungry.

Specials do sell out - as Tony advised - v. quickly. But thankfully we got hold of the dry meat dish. Which was so unctious, it actually tasted a little of malt extract .... which might put some people off, but I love it.

Regards

Tigger.

PS: Bapi's reference to the "wife being late" must be clarified ... I was working late in the office whilst HE was partaking of pre-dinner drinks. Sod.

I've spoken to Wasim about organizing another e-gullet dinner there by popular demand. We're thinking of a Raan fest. Raan is not on their menu but can be ordered in advance. Basically, for those who don't know, it is whole roast leg of lamb prepared Indian style but in various ways-it can be wet or dry or in between.

Its going to be around October time. I'll start posting details in a couple of months. Something to look forward to after the Summer eh? :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

Another trip to New Tayyabs. Nine of us this time and as I was tasked with ordering for us. Unfortunately, I had a funny turn and therefore ordered far too much food.

16 Seekh Kebabs

2 lots of Chicken Tikka

3 lots of Tandoori Chicken

4 lots of Masala fish

2 lots of Lamb chops

4 Tandoori rotis

Ordered the above a s "starters" which all rather finished us off. We noted that the food was considerably spicier than last time. This caused the Jack Osborne loolalike in our party to query whether there was "anything on the table that wasn't going to blow (his) f**king head off". The food was good, but the fish and the lamb were, in places, much drier than last time and as eloquently put by our friend - perhaps a smidgen spicier.

I had ordered six mains between us all, but on noticing that we were struggling with starters, reduced this to 4.

Dry meat - excellent.

Karahi Chicken Keema- very nice , finely shredded pieces of chicken as opposed to chicken mince.

Karahi Gosht- didn't get to try this.

Pumpkin Curry-This was a special and described as pumpkin to me, but was actually some other squash. It was, however, absolutely lovely and wholly recommended.

We also had two large portions of Meat Biryani , which they saved for us on request. I thought the accompanying curry was much better than the rice itself.

That, a few other breads( keema nans and tandoori nans) and desserts all round, came to £107.50 between nine.

As I said, we couldn't finish it all, so we had it packaged up to take home between myself and our friend from Oz. Thinking better of it, he generously gave it all away to the rather intoxicated, but nevertheless highly appreciative gentleman settling in for the night on the benches around the corner.

Sam / Tony- thanks for pointing us in the direction of the Good Samaritan pub

As I said, we couldn't finish it all, so we had it packaged up to take home between myself and our friend from Oz.

Bapi, shame on you. You wanna dump that bunch of anorexics and go with some real eaters. Four of us could get through what you nine couldn't. Next time you want to go to Tayyabs PM me and we'll go together.

Simon / Tony.

Gulity as charged , we were a bunch of Shandy lightweights on that particular night. In mitigation, there were apparently only eight of us, not nine; my tall white Lepus friend doesn't count ( or more accurately- I can't count). Also, we didn't have that much left over apart from the grilled meats and biryani. My Aussie friend and I valiantly soldiered one but four in a row, was one seekh kebab too many for me!

Tony, you are on Sir. I will let you know.

tony and simon you're thinking the same as me and i've not even had the pleasure of a trip there (yet :biggrin: )

Bapi you are disgrace to the north, the correct term for your type is 'soft southern, shandy drinking, girls party dress'. I believe.

i bet you even skipped the lager nightcap too :angry:

pah!

you don't win friends with salad

Gary,

All of the above is true, since moving south, I have developed an unnerving propensity for Gin and Tonics, insouciantly abandoning my love of good "proper" beer, my dear pet whippet and sidelining my flat cap. I have even, on occasion been known to say - "Youuur 'avvin a bleedin' laarf int cha?" I only wear dresses at weekends though.

Partook in a medicinal brandy instead of your usual nightcap, until I was whisked away by the vice-like headlock from missus.

Which reminds me, can I be the first to officially congratulate you on egullet for managing to find someone as nice as Sarah, to marry you last month? Welcome back and we hope to hear all about your honeymoon gastro tour of Europe soon. Mr Laaade da has been on the Leyton Orient Express don't you know?

Can I also be the first to offer my sincerest condolences to Sarah, who will now have to endure a lifetime at the behest of your sweaty little digits?

B

• 2 weeks later...
Sam / Tony- thanks for pointing us in the direction of the Good Samaritan pub

Hmm, in joke methinks...

First visit to NT last night, and very impressed we were.

Taking the advice given here we stuffed ourselves silly from the starters menu plus some breads. Only item that was not really enjoyed was the pakora, but that serves us right for ordering the veggie option. Total cost 18 quid! That's between three of us. Amazing.

Gavin

You mean that this pub exists?

I spent ten minutes walking up and down Fieldgate St. trying to find it and finally spotted the old brewery sign on the NT wall. I assumed that this was the name of the pub that now houses the restaurant.

I can usually spot a pub at 200 yards; where is the Good Samaritan lurking?

Gavin

Ooops, no Gavin. Walk back down Fieldagte Street to the crossroads with New Road and then straight across on to Stepney Way and its two hundred yards down there on your right , opposite the Hospital.

If you pop back there for a drink after the meal, take the road on the other side of the road from the Good Samaritan that goes past the Hospital A&E dept ( I think) and you are straight back on Whitchapel opposite McDonalds.

As Tony Finch said to me its not a particularly salubrious place , but one that is infinitely better than the rest of the pubs on Whitchapel- but it is crammed full of medics and student nurses

EEEk - lesson number one , don't cut and paste your responses without first checking the previous posts. Sorry for the repetition.

Edited by Bapi (log)

As Tony Finch said to me its not a particularly salubrious place , but one that is infinitely better than the rest of the pubs on Whitchapel.

EEEk - lesson number one , don't cut and paste your responses without first checking the previous posts. Sorry for the repetition.

Bapi - thanks for the reply.

Do you think that there is any worth in starting a "Dodgy Boozers in the East End" thread? I'm sure that there must be a few anecdotes that would be better out than in...ever bin in the Grave Maurice?

There used to be a wonderful pub next to Whitechapel tube called the Lord Rodney Head. Apart from serving Czech Budvar on draught its quirky feature for men were urinals fixed so far up the wall you had to be seven foot two to use them. This led to pleasant queues for the one lovely WC-a clear equal opps attempt to get us blokes to see how it is for the ladies all the time.

It's now been converted into a modern chrome theme bar, as has the London Hospital Tavern immediately opposite. The Grave Maurice occupies one of Dante's circles of Hell- Whitechapel at her loveliest :wub:

The Pride of Spitalfields was firebombed a couple of weeks ago, allegedly by a gang of Bangladeshi youngsters. If true, this may reflect the racial tension that exists around a number of East End boozers, many of which are dyed in the wool white enclaves and where the Bangladeshi and Somali (those that drink) populations are actively made to feel unwelcome.

In truth the vast majority of East End pubs (and I've been to a great many of them) are shite holes-lousy beer, inedible food. dirty and tacky and only friendly if your face fits, or is the right colour. Sorry, but it's true.

Edited by Tonyfinch (log)

In truth the vast majority of East End pubs (and I've been to a great many of them) are shite holes-lousy beer, inedible food. dirty and tacky and only friendly if your face fits, or is the right colour. Sorry, but it's true.

Tony, I've been trying to think of examples of good East End Boozers (EEBs) that might contradict your opinion (purely for reason of trying to start A Heated Debate), but frankly I'm struggling. The Dove in Broadway Market is the only one that might be a destination EEB that comes to mind. Any others?

Gavin

Another salute to the Rodney's head.

Truly sad about the Pride of Spitalfields. I seem to remember walking in close to midnight to have my fortune told.

There are of course others, for example round the back-end of Bethnal Green. They are very varied. But Tony's comments are sadly true. Drank in the last year at 'The Hare' because Defoe mentioned it. But Tony's comments are to the point.

Edited by Gavin Jones (log)

Wilma squawks no more

The Pride of Spitalfields will open again on either Thursday or friday of this week. Most likely thursday at which there will be a party.

It was a group of Asian kids who threw petrol bombs directly at the barmaid and her boyfriend as they left the bar at around 1am. Whilst it is being investigated as a racially-motivated incident this is because the landlady claims it as such. The police and other locals - Asian and otherwise - do not see any real racial tensions in the area and are surprised by the attack.

Anyway, it looks like it will be the same old pub - no modernisation, just a lick of paint – with the same old codgers asleep in the corner.

Oi - that's MR Old Codger to you Missy...

Sorry, Mr Old Codger, you'll be one of the many lost souls who wander past everyday, sticking their nose in the door to see when their living room is finished. No, seriously, there are at least ten old men who stay in there permanently. Just didn't know you were one of them Gavin.