• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cutting up chicken pieces

TdeV

Been reading some African recipes which discuss using "authentic" chicken meat, which has been cut up into small pieces, possibly using an axe. In many dishes in many Chinese restaurants, I've had small pieces of duck--where the bone has been cut across.

I've just asked DH if he could cut up some chicken for me and he was dubious.

I'm wondering if this meat is cut when frozen? If not, what kind of force is needed for the cleaver?

Yes, a cleaver and be prepared to pick out the bone splinters.  'Authentic' chicken would likely not be frozen but that's perhaps a good idea to partially freeze it before chopping...like making thinly sliced meat for a stir fry.  Let us know what happens.

Above all, watch those fingers!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Above all, watch those fingers!

And the potential for spraying your kitchen with salmonella. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, TdeV said:

I'm wondering if this meat is cut when frozen?

Not in China or, I guess, most of Africa.

The poultry vendor in the market kills and chops the chicken or duck for me, although many people take the live birds home and deal with it themselves. Supermarkets sell pre-chopped on the bone birds, too. Chinese people like "on the bone".  Me, too!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

@liuzhou, "on the bone" means that the meat is cut through the bone, right? I imagine this makes a tastier stock. How do vendors in China keep bone splinters out of the meat?

Yes. "on the bone" means exactly what you say.

I've never experienced the bone splinter problem in the market or at home. A good heavy cleaver won't splinter the bones, I guess. Maybe better knives; maybe better chickens. I don't know.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Just now, liuzhou said:

Yes. "on the bone" means exactly what you say.

I've never experienced the bone splinter problem in the market or at home. A good heavy cleaver won't splinter the bones, I guess. Maybe better knives; maybe better chickens. I don't know.

I have watched them do it here in the markets and they wield that cleaver with such confidence and speed that I don’t think the bone would dare splinter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

My Chinese butcher will cut up meat and fowl by running it through a dedicated (by kind of meat) power saw.   

I have several substantial cleavers acquired over time, but no indoor place to use them without destroying counters, table top, flooring.    I can take it outside to a retaining wall...but that seems overkill.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

My Chinese butcher will cut up meat and fowl by running it through a dedicated (by kind of meat) power saw.   

Wuss!  What happened to Theatrics?

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog