• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to avoid "circles" on small bar mold

Desiderio

So, at work they have these custom molds for small bars, I believe they are Tomric, looks like thermofolded one (SP?). Anyway, they have an order for 500 business card size chocolate bars, but we only have like 6 molds, 4 cavities each (you do the math :-P). But as the chocolate set and shrinks, it leaves spots, like circles. We polished the molds and all, but it feels like there is not preventing this from happening. Any thoughts? I tried different ways, let it set at room temperature (which is 58F, yeah its cold here), until set on top and then in fridge on open racks. Still got those shrinking circles. 

20200205_101134.jpg

20200205_101022.jpg

20200205_101128.jpg

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

Since room temp is so cold, what if you just let them solidify at room temp and not in the fridge?  I know, you want the faster turnaround but is there such thing as crystallizing too quickly?  Or that might be cold enough to warrant warming the molds. I love a cool kitchen but below 60F is extreme.

Indeed extreme! It makes work a little tricky.

I have tried warming the molds at same choc. temperature, at no avail. They said they always had that problem with those molds, but also they don't have a ton of education on chocolate when it comes to troubleshooting. 

I will try room temperature, which is as you said, plenty cold.

Fingers crossed!

Vanessa

Probably it's caused because the mold is flexible and not sturdy like the usual policarbonate molds. Chocolate sets at different times depending on the zone of the cavity, starting from the outside and going towards the center. Those should be the signs of the mold surface flexing during the crystallization process. Your only hope is trying a slower crystallization at higher temperatures. If this doesn't work, then consider it a fault of the mold that you can't solve.

Teo

• Like 2

Teo

I think you are absolutely right! I tried a slower and higher temperature (still very cold in the kitchen). I need to check when I go back in tomorrow. 

Thank you so much, I know you would have the answer for this 🙂

Vanessa