• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DIY Proofing box

ResearchBunny

Dear Egulleters/Bakers Hi. I'm new around here.

I found your website from googling bread dough proofing box. It appears the last post was in 2006.

I am making a Swedish coffee-cardamon bread, "Nisu". I am looking for feedback and/or recommendations for the following setup:

I will use a seedling mat. Invert a shallow plastic container over it. Place dough bowl on plastic container. Fill a small steel cylinder with boiling water. Set next to dough bowl. Cover all with an inverted large plastic container. Up until now I have not taken the internal temperature of the dough.

I haven't yet made this -- recovering from a cold. I've been reading in bed dreaming of the next thing I want to bake. What do you think?

Your oven is your best DIY proofing box. Just put the dough in the oven (obviously when it's at room temperature) and close the door. You can turn on the oven light (only the light, not the heating) if you want to raise the temperature of few degrees. You can put a small bowl with warm water if the humidity in your kitchen is low (don't put boiling water, humidity will be too high).

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

I'm surprised at your responses. Please tell me if you have tried any of the other methods. My house is rather cool, around 65 degrees F. I put the dough in the oven with a pan of boiling water. The dough did rise but not to double height. There was a fairly exuberant thread on egullet in 2006: people posted photos of plastic boxes complete with light bulbs, aquarium or reptile thermostats. I have a seedling mat and thought I'd give that a go. It would be so helpful if you could raise specific objections to this set up -- if you have any. I want to learn. Thank you!

any set up that works is good.

but first, set it up and check the long term temp - yeast does best in the 80-90'F range.  too hot and yeast is killed.

a light bulb on in the oven is the usual - but if you have to pre-heat the oven . . . . .

I just put a plate/lid over the bowl, I don't worry so much about humidity.  sometimes I lose track of things . . .

DSC_4655s.JPG

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Haha 1