• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Georgian eggplant pkhali - eggplant and walnut spread

shain

• 1.5 kg eggplants, peeled
  • 100g well toasted walnuts
  • 2.5 tsp coriander seeds
  • 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/5-1/3 cup water
  • 2 tsp carob molasses, date molasses, or dark brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)
  • hot chili to taste
  • freshly ground pepper, generously
  • 1-2 tsp salt
  • pomegranate kernels, for serving

• Cut the peeled eggplant into thick (2 cm) slices. Generously brush with oil from both sides.
  • In a 220 deg C oven, bake until dark brown on both sides.
  • Toast the coriander seeds until aromatic.
  • Blend together all ingredients (other than the pomegranate) until smooth. Adding water as needed.
  • Taste and adjust salt, lemon, chili.
  • Serve at room temp, with pomegranate kernels on top.
  • Eat with crisp warm bread, or pita chips.

20170710_204835.jpg

~ Shai N.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Rickbern said:

Thank, love this! I’ve made pkhali with spinach, chard beets and leeks but never eggplant. Gonna give this a spin 

I didn't see a similar eggplant pkhali in Gerogia. But the very common eggplant rolls filled with walnut spread where my favorite appetizer. When I wanted to make it myself, I decided that I'm too lazy to fill and roll eggplants, so I searched and found this dish. In my recipe I made it smooth and more spreadable than a most traditional pkhali.

Please let me know when you make it :) 

~ Shai N.