• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a good dipping sauce for bread.

Matthew.Taylor

3 hours ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

Ok, it’s Super Bowl Sunday soon, and I have a recipe for a herbed sour cream pull-apart loaf that I was going to make. But I think it needs a dipping sauce, so I thought I’d ask you guys. The herbs are minced garlic, rosemary, thyme, and parsley, if that helps.

Good soft salted butter :)

• Like 1

I had a port and foie gras sauce at a restaurant in Dallas with a steak that was so good I wanted to take a bath in it. Not sure how it'd be with an herbed bread, but I can testify I mopped up the final bits of it with a plain dinner roll.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 1/31/2020 at 7:45 AM, TdeV said:

How about giving us the bread recipe, @Matthew.Taylor ?

Gladly! :) I got this recipe out of a recent issue of a magazine called Bake From Scratch.

HERBED SOUR CREAM PULL-APART LOAF

INGREDIENTS

1.      3 and ¼ cup (413 grams) Bread Flour, divided

2.      2 Tablespoons (24 grams) Granulated Sugar

3.      2 and ¼ teaspoons (7 grams) Instant Yeast

4.      2 teaspoons (6 grams) Kosher Salt, Divided.

5.      1 cup 240 grams) Sour Cream

6.      ¼ Cup (57 Grams) Unsalted Butter.

7.      ¼ cup (60 Grams) Water

8.      1 Large egg (50 Grams), room temperature

9.      1/3 of a cup (76 Grams) Unsalted Butter, melted.

10.   1 tablespoon (10 grams) Minced Garlic

11.   1 Tablespoon (2 grams) chopped Fresh Rosemary

12.   1 tablespoon (2 grams) chopped fresh Thyme

13.   1 tablespoon (2 grams) chopped fresh Parsley

14.   ½ teaspoon Flaked Sea Salt

15.   Garnish: chopped fresh rosemary, Thyme, and Parsley.

STEPS.

1.      In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whisk together the 1 and ½ cups flour, sugar, yeast, 1 and ½ teaspoons Kosher salt by hand.

2.      In a medium saucepan, heat the sour cream, butter, and ¼ of a cup water over medium heat until a thermometer reads 120-130 degrees F.

3.      With mixer on medium speed, pour warm sour cream mixture onto flour mixture, beating until combined and cooled slightly, about 1 minute. Add Egg, and beat at medium speed until combined.

4.      With mixer on low speed, gradually add remaining 1 and ¾ cups flour, beating until well combined and stopping to scrape down sides of the bowl, about 1 minute.

5.      Lightly spray a large bowl, place dough in bow and turn to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft free area, until doubled in size, 45 minutes to1 hour.

6.      In a small bowl, stir together melted butter, garlic, rosemary, thyme, parsley, and remaining1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt.

7.      Divide dough into 36 pieces. With lightly floured hands, working with 1 piece at a time, roll each piece into a smooth ball.

8.      Dip each ball into butter/herb mixture, and place in a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Pour any remaining mixture over dough in pan. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft free place until doubled in size, about 15 to 20 minutes.

9.      Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Sprinkle flaked sea salt over the dough.

10.   Bake until golden brown, and an instant read thermometer reads 190 degrees F (8 degrees C), around 30 to 40 minutes, covering with foil halfway through to avoid excess browning, if necessary.

11.   Let cool in pan for ten minutes, remove from pan and garnish with chopped fresh parsley, thyme, rosemary, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Edited by Matthew.Taylor (log)
  • Thanks 1

the bread already has lots of seasoning/flavoring/richness. I am not inclined to go creamy but favor the balsamic suggestions - then againI swim against the tide on a regular basis ;) 

Sounds like a really flavorful bread!  I'd go with a simple tomato sauce with enough bright acidity to contrast with the richness of the bread.  

If I had any of Vivian Howard's stewed tomatoes from Deep Run Roots on hand, I'd just blitz a jar in the blender, warm it up and serve. 

Marcella Hazan's iconic sauce would be an easy option. 

Or is that too predictable?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

Ok I’ve decided to go with a good extra-virgin Olive Oil, my mom also showed me a mixer she had of herb and spice mixes to add in. I’ll let you all know how it goes.

As your lovely bread is already herbed I personally would '86 the add in and just do the oil & vinegar. I live  in the land of overkill land so veer towards dialing back.   https://www.latimes.com/food/jonathan-gold/la-fo-gold-vespertine-review-20170902-story.html

Edited by heidih (log)

Take a two or three teaspoons of chili flakes, one teaspoon of cumin, two teaspoons of garlic and put in a heatproof bowl. Add about 100 mL of very hot (like frying temperature) oil to it and let cool down. Add a tablespoon of butter, some salt and MSG (if you like), then stir well to blend ...

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

11 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Take a two or three teaspoons of chili flakes, one teaspoon of cumin, two teaspoons of garlic and put in a heatproof bowl. Add about 100 mL of very hot (like frying temperature) oil to it and let cool down. Add a tablespoon of butter, some salt and MSG (if you like), then stir well to blend ...

I don’t have any bread to dip but this sure does sound good!  

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I don’t have any bread to dip but this sure does sound good!  

It’s more of a dressing for cold chicken breast or any cold leftover roasts. But once you have made it, you start dipping all kinds if things in. And with baguette it is quite addictive (or is that the MSG ?) ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, heidih said:

As your lovely bread is already herbed I personally would '86 the add in and just do the oil & vinegar. I live  in the land of overkill land so veer towards dialing back.   https://www.latimes.com/food/jonathan-gold/la-fo-gold-vespertine-review-20170902-story.html

I’m going to give people some choice. Some with the herb mix, at least one with just the oil. 
I live in the land of “don’t upset your mother” you see, and that needs to be considered.

• Like 3